mtbr member

Need some advice on kids bikes

Right now my kids are riding cheap 2nd hand 16" department store bikes, and they probably weight more than my 29" hardtail. My boy is ready to move up to 20" and I want to find something that won't be such a boat anchor for him to ride. Not planning on buying new so I am trolling craigslist and guessing that my best bet will be some kind of BMX bike for him? Not knowing anything about this type of bike makes it tough, can you guys maybe give me some brands or models that have worked well for you or that you think would be good for a kid to ride that I should look for? Don't need anything fancy, hoping to spend somewhere in the $50 range. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In that price range, for the most part, you're still looking at cheap second hand boat anchors.

Probably wouldn't recommend going with a BMX if you looking to do mostly trail riding, unless the trails in your area are pretty smooth.

mtbr member
    Fair enough, thanks for the response. Let me clarify and rephrase the question. My boy doesn't do any trail riding, just around the neighborhood, to school, to the park, maybe a dirt path every now and then but he is only 5. He is turning 6 in August and I was hoping to have a bike to give him for his birthday. Second hand is fine, single speed is fine, I just don't want it to weight a ton. Does anyone have any recommendations on what bikes I should be looking for and what price range I am looking at? The only specific thing that he has mentioned is that he wants hand brakes on his next bike, like mine. I would like the hand brakes to be actually usable hand brakes so he can learn to use them. Thank in advance for any advice you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    In that price range, for the most part, you're still looking at cheap second hand boat anchors.

Probably wouldn't recommend going with a BMX if you looking to do mostly trail riding, unless the trails in your area are pretty smooth.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Specialized Hotrock...aluminum frame and fork. It has boat anchor wheels and crank but overall its about the lightest stock 20".
    $50 will be tough but you might be able to find one that's a few years old for around $100.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If weight is the priority, you might want to see if you can hunt down a used BMX Mini, probably the best weight/dollar ratio - right around 15-16lbs. Keep in mind that durability goes down along with weight. We used one of those for light trail riding and BMX racing when my son was 5-6ish. Gearing can be pretty tall on them for non-race riding.

FWIW, bikes that fit my kid, all at the same time, were 20" for BMX race, 16" for park/jump, and 24" for MTB. So, a lot of the sizing thing comes down to what your kid wants to do with it, and how he rides it. For example, mine hasn't sat down on his bike in years; he rides standing all the time, and really likes to move the bike around, so smaller bikes work best for him. For a kid that ijust wants to cruise around sitting down, MTB style, a bigger bike might be better.

mtbr member
    I found a 20" Specialized Hotrock on my local craigslist that I plan to pick up tomorrow. Looks to be in good shape and the price is right where I wanted to be. Like I said earlier, my kid just needs a good do it all bike for riding to school, around the neighborhood, some dirt tracks that doesn't wear him down too fast because it weighs too much.

Now to start looking for the girl