Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some advice on a crankset for kids bike....

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  manitoumtbr 
#1 ·
I recently pickep up a xsmall Giant Anthem to build up for my 10 year old son. I've got a good parts list coming together, but the cranks are stumping me. I've found some 155MM square taper arms (Origin 8) on eBay and am considering using these and building it as a 1x9. Would this be a good option or is there an option out there (that doesn't break the bank) that I could get shorter arms set up with 3x9 or 2x10?

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies...looks like I'll go with the Sinz and 1x10. Any suggestions on the chainring to go with? Thinking 34T, but not sure if I just go with a regular BMX chainring (does the thickness matter) or if I should look for one that's made for 10spd?

#13 ·
I agree with the 34T Sprocket and 11-36 rear. Here is a gear chart to help understand the differences. The far right 3 columns was my old 2001 Stumpjumper Pro with a typical 3X front. You can compare that to modern 2X setups (24/38 or 26/39 fronts) and 1X setups (34T, 35T, 36T).

The 34T 11-36 provides the bulk usable range he would need. A 32T would be a little more ideal but it's not possible with a 110BCD. Let us know how it works out.

Also, don't forget that you will need a chain guide. Check out Paul's Components or use the stock front derailleur with the adjustment screws accordingly.

#16 ·
one more thing you can try...

I think eveyone's got you on the right track. BMX cranks (Sinz, AC, Crupi, etc.) are lighter and have more lengths to choose from, but you are then limited to 110 BCD, which means 34t is the smallest ring you can run. My son wanted a lower gear on his XS FIsher Cake (we have some steep climbs here), so I mounted an IRD tripleizer (not cheap @ $60) so I could mount an inner ring so he has a 2x setup. Works great. Hard to see, but this is the setup before I put the IRD ring on (155mm Crupi cranks I got off ebay).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.