mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need help finding a good bike

Hi there,
    My son is 9 years old and I want to get him a good mountain bike.
    We will more be using this for level and rolling gravel trails, no hard core downhill mountain trails....yet. I would like to keep it in the $250-$450 price range.
    If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How big is he? If he needs a 20" wheel then spawn cycles just released a new bike that will be shipping in November. If you need a 24 inch wheel, I would check out Islabikes, hotrock or any of the others. Lots of options in 24"

Havok
    I use search tempest. It searches craigslist for you in multiple places. I was searching for a bike for my son. and searched my all the names of the bike at once.

Q20 Hotrock Shred Makena Spark Contessa Scale Voltage MT60 CANYON Aggressor Flightline Raptor on SearchTempest

Havok
    of course you'll wanna change the zipcode

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks.
    Right now it's betwen the Haro Flightline 20 and Specialized HOTROCK 20 6-SPEED.
    Thoughts on those two what one might be better?

Havok
    Haro's seem really good. The Hotrock is kind of like the default bike here that everyone builds with. I like that the Hotrocks are coming with disc tabs now. (this helps if you get upgrade fever)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    At 9, I'm thinking you may want to seriously consider a 24" for trail riding unless your son is really small.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
    Hi there,
    My son is 9 years old and I want to get him a good mountain bike.
    We will more be using this for level and rolling gravel trails, no hard core downhill mountain trails....yet. I would like to keep it in the $250-$450 price range.
    My experience was good and sub $500 really don't exist. More like decent, but all over 25 pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My 9 yr old has a Trek MT240 it is a slight upgrade to the trek MT220 it is 24" wheels it he has had it for 2 full seasons and has put approx 1500 trail miles on it he is always trying to jump off every rock and root he can it has needed nothing other than i replaced the very heavy Bontrager tires with Schwable Rocket Rons and the bike rails the trails. I am now getting a new build around a Sette Reken 14" frame built up with 26" wheels this will be my winter project.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    At 9, I'm thinking you may want to seriously consider a 24" for trail riding unless your son is really small.
    This is absolutely the case. I got my son, who had just turned 8 during the fall, a 24" HotRock and it was SLIGHTLY big at first, but perfect by the next spring. Fitting him great at Age 10, now, and would have been totally bumbed had he been stuck on a 20", or had to upgrade just a year after he got it. Both for the money spent, and because these guys do take pride in their bikes and don't want to be down on a "too-small" bike so soon after getting it. My son's friend (also 10) has been riding with us on a 20" bike, and it seems absurdly small, and he always wants to borrow my son's bike.

I got my 8-yo girl an XS 26" Myka this year. While big for her, she is also not going to be doing a bunch of trick riding, and the bike actually works great for her on our rolling Bend trails. I would not have gotten it for a boy that would want to be doing tricks, jumps, etc. So, I'm not suggesting this is the way for everyone, but the point is, I would, at minimum, get the 24" bike for a 9-yo boy unless he is small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys, I went to the local store and the 24" is a bit to big but I'm going to go with that size so that he will be able to grow into it and save me money down the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
    Thanks guys, I went to the local store and the 24" is a bit to big but I'm going to go with that size so that he will be able to grow into it and save me money down the road.
    New, bigger bikes always look big when your own kid gets on them. But after a few days watching him on it, you will think it is fitting him much better. It is the whole familiarity thing.