mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Need help with a Chariot

I just picked up a Chariot Corsair 2 to use with my Moonlander.

I called Chariot to ask about compatibility. They said I am all good.

When I went to put the trailer mount on I noticed that the "lip" around the dropouts was preventing the axle with the mount on it from seating up correctly all the way forward as usual.

The only way to make this work was to pull the whole axle back about an inch to clear the lip.

I thought it would be fine and dandy but the first small hill I came to where I actually had to pedal hard, the whole tire was pulled to the left into the frame and seized.

I know why this happened. What I do not know is why this trailer will not connect properly as I was told it would.

Did Chariot forget to tell me about some adapter? Is it just not compatible? I swear I have seen moonlanders and pugsleys pulling these things. It seems like I may be able to rig something up myself...but for the cost of this trailer, I should not have to.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Need help with a Chariot-trailer.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Re: Need help with a Chariot

I've also seen various Surlys pulling chariots but can't remember what they did to manage that. I had a Chariot and a Karate Monkey but never ran them together, but can see how the attachment could be an issue. The hooded drop outs are what is causing the issue. Chariot doesn't make any other adapter so you're stuck figuring it out for yourself.
    The cheapest solution would be to run a chain tug on the drive side to keep the axle from slipping forward under power. Surly makes one but I'm blanking on the name right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    BME107 is right, a tuggnut will both space the adapter out further and keep it from rolling forwards, there are a number of single speed chain tugs I thought were unsuitable because they were too thick, in this case it might be exactly what you need, you may have to experiment with different brands, some are just a big washer and a bolt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the info, I will get looking into that.

Unfortunately Chariot isnt much of a help. They state, "We did offer a frame mounted hitch cup that may work if you are not able to use the hitch cup for the quick release axle.", But they don't have this on their website or any other site I could find and they did not offer to provide me with one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is the item you're looking for: Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Put it on the drive side, to keep the axle from sliding forward there under power and allowing the wheel to pull to the left in the frame. Side issue is that the Chariot quick release isn't one of the strongest locking pieces, but the tuggnut should compensate. You won't need to space out the hitch side, just run it like the picture above shows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My wife had a similar problem on her mountain bike with our Chariot. I found the solution through Burley trailers. We used this on the skewer in place of the Chariot nut. Hitch Alt Adapter (Quick Release) | Encore - Burley--BURLEY--

This spaces the hitch out an inch so it will clear the raised lip. So far we have about fifty miles with this setup and it is working well.