mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My Little Trooper...

So me, my wife and 2 children met up with 2 other families on monday to ride the Silver Comet Trail. There was 15 of us in all so after the 30+ minutes getting all the gear situated, had a 3rd wheel bike and a kiddie trailer, we set off from the Floyd road trailhead headed west.

And that's when it happened....in the excitement of getting started, one of the (3) boys, all 10 yrs old, clipped the front tire of my 7yo little girl and off she went.

My wife and I were at the very back of the pack and the kids were all up front so we missed the crash, only seeing the aftermath. We were less than 50 yards on the trails and already administering 1st aid. Luckily for us, my buddy's wife is in nursing school and was well prepared.

Little mama's middle finger on the left hand was cut and bleeding pretty good. After about 10 minutes of doctoring from soon to be nurse Mrs. HOLLY....we were off again. I rode at the back of the pack with my wife and now injured little girl. She cried for about the 1st mile or so...I asked several times if she wanted to turn back but she refused.

Well we did a total of 13 miles...6.5 out and back. When we get back to the cars we looked at little girl's finger again it was black and swollen. We get home and get the kids in bed around 9:30...they're passed out in 30 seconds flat.

My wife says she'll take her to the doctor in the am and get it looked at. We wake up in the am and her finger is black as night and the middle knuckle is raised about a 1/2". She goes to the doctor, he says it looks broken and orders us to go get an ex ray.

Ex ray confirms its broke in 2 places so now were off to see the orthopedic to get a cast.

I learned two things from this ride...

1. I will never ride again without having a good 1st aid kit with me. Glad someone was prepared because I certainly wasn't. I WILL NOT make that mistake again!

2. My little princess is one tough little cookie! She rode 13 miles with a broken finger and didn't complain one bit!

I hope that someone out there learns something from this!

At Work
    Bless her....... Hope she heals quick. Kids are tough........ my 6 year old gives me nightmares when she rides............. dangerous!!!!!!!!!!
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That's one tough girl.

I keep meaning to put together a first aid kit for my bike bag.