mtbr member

My 9 yr old mountain biker!

So my soon to be 9 yr old (birthday tomorrow) went riding Saturday with me and the dog on our local trails, 6 miles @ 7mph!, she did a great job even tackling a log rollover that was 2 1/2 ft tall! I've got to continue getting her confidence up but she does like to ride with me (but doesn't like to get dirty...girls shesh)

My 9 yr old mountain biker!-august-her-bike.jpg

She's 4'7", 90lbs for size reference.

Bike: Diamondback Lux Comp 2014 27.5 size small.
    50mm stem (heavy but works)
    Velocity p35 wheelset on shimano hubs - same weight as the stock wheels
    Panaracer Driver pro 2.2 tires run tubeless
    Tioga Spyder saddle (weighs 170gr)
    Stock cranks (Sram) shortened to 142mm - best upgrade I made!
    Oh yeah I've got her on fyxation Mesa MP pedals, light and sticks to her shoes well.

The p35 rims with the tubeless tires (running about 18 psi) she can get through sugar sand (like loose beach sand) no sweat, but we are still figuring out the whole lower gear higher cadence thing.

In all a very joyful little girl that I get to spend time with! She wants to race now
    Last edited by worldskipper; 03-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    That's awesome! My oldest son was 9 when he started riding trails with me too. Now he's almost 14 and loves racing, and riding. My younger son started earlier. I've started him riding mild trails with roots and rocks at 6 years old. Great to start them young. Racing needs more girls getting involved too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nice. My 9 year old daughter and I have an ongoing competition. Who can get the muddiest. She usually wins. She is riding a trek 24" bike and can't wait to upgrade her to a 26". My 11 year old son can't get enough of mountain biking. Seeing people get out with their kids is just great. The girls that I have seen race tend to blow the doors off the boys, just because they are trying to prove they are better. My daughter is guilty of that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My daughter starting racing at 8. She is 9 now and her favorite race last year was a mudfest. She was one of the few kids to finish the race ... including many older boys!

mtbr member
    Yup, the young girls racing here seem to be pretty tough cookies too! No complaining, just getting it done!

Super Clyde
    That's awesome! My 9 year old daughter is built about the same, she is 4'10" and 100#. I'm looking at getting her a new bike this spring. She currently has a Trek MT-220 24" that looks like a 16" bike under her. Right now the front runner is a Trek Skye 27.5 in a small. She hasn't ridden trails with me yet, but my 12 year old son does. I want to get her into it this year too.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    That's awesome! My 9 year old daughter is built about the same, she is 4'10" and 100#. I'm looking at getting her a new bike this spring. She currently has a Trek MT-220 24" that looks like a 16" bike under her. Right now the front runner is a Trek Skye 27.5 in a small. She hasn't ridden trails with me yet, but my 12 year old son does. I want to get her into it this year too.
    Just remember to keep the wheels as light as possible. And if you can swing it put some cranks that are more appropriate for her leg length, I've noticed that she has more confidence with the shorter cranks, and she's not so afraid to mash. Trailcraft has some square taper double with bash 152mm cranks.
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

Super Clyde
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.