mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My 6 year old and I riding in Brown County

Rode great the whole ride, and took a little spill literally 20 feet from the end of the trail.

Video11102012165112 - YouTube
    Video11102012173700 - YouTube
    My 6 year old and I mountain biking in Brown County - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is great. It inspires me to ride with my 7 year old. You gotta invest in some good video equip now, your kid is going places!

Congrats. skim

@trailgrinder
    Awesome man, can't wait for my kids to be old enou to ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry. I left my good camera at home.
    I've got a Nikon AW100 camera that takes great video, and is shock proof, waterproof, etc. People use it as an action camera. I tried a helmet mount with it, but it's kinda heavy and pulls my helmet down over my eyes. I also tried a handlebar mount, but it would be really shaky.
    A Gopro or similar is on the Christmas wish list.

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's great...one of my daughters wants to "mountain bike". What bike is she riding...I'm thinking xmas present...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think it's about a 2005 Specialized Hot Rock. You can search for my thread "Got my 5 year old her first mountainbike" to see it. Bought it cheap, but have put some time and parts into it to make it ride good. Stil pretty low budget compared to many of the kids bike builds on this forum. I scrounged my spare parts bin, Ebay, and the local MTB classifieds for parts. Stick with a 25.4 handlebar, for instance, and you can get a carbon one pretty cheap.

NONDURO
    Nice! I rode with my 6.5 year old on the local singletrack yesterday, and am kicking myself in the head for having left the CountourHD camera at home, as he was clearing most of the hills, and railing it down some sections pretty fast. Next time!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Got myself a ContourHD for Christmas. Can't wait till our next ride. 12+ inches of snow right now. LOL

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by danavsbelly View Post
    yeah. Can't wait till our next ride. 12+ inches of snow right now.
    There’s these things called fatbikes, and they rock for the snow.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    There’s these things called fatbikes, and they rock for the snow.
    She's tough, but I think I'd be listening to her whine about being cold the whole time.
    I'm also a little partial to riding when it's warmer. LOL
    I'll stick to the gym, and maybe some sledding and snow boarding in the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    She's tough, but I think I'd be listening to her whine about being cold the whole time.
    I'm also a little partial to riding when it's warmer. LOL
    I'll stick to the gym, and maybe some sledding and snow boarding in the winter.

No rattlesnakes this time of year.

Lost my signal...
    I'm going to show my 5 y/o daughter these videos. She's a bit small for her age so she's still riding her 10" Target Princess bike (with training wheels - ugh). I'm really hoping she'll end up riding with me on the trails soon. She SAYS she wants to, but we'll see.

My 10 y/o is on his 2nd year with a Trek MT 60 and he's starting to "get it". We bought it from a Trek dealer in Columbus (IN) last year and immediately took it to Brown County for it's inaugural ride. He did GREAT all things considered, but was still learning. High hopes for this year.

And, if all else fails, my 8 month old son is next in line for the Trek. Since it's not pink, my daughter says she'll pass on it.

Kudos for getting her started so soon. Maybe we'll see you at BCSP sometime!
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerXJ View Post
    I'm going to show my 5 y/o daughter these videos. She's a bit small for her age so she's still riding her 10" Target Princess bike (with training wheels - ugh). I'm really hoping she'll end up riding with me on the trails soon. She SAYS she wants to, but we'll see.

My 10 y/o is on his 2nd year with a Trek MT 60 and he's starting to "get it". We bought it from a Trek dealer in Columbus (IN) last year and immediately took it to Brown County for it's inaugural ride. He did GREAT all things considered, but was still learning. High hopes for this year.

And, if all else fails, my 8 month old son is next in line for the Trek. Since it's not pink, my daughter says she'll pass on it.

Kudos for getting her started so soon. Maybe we'll see you at BCSP sometime!
    My 9 year old is on a 14" Kona Fire (26" wheel) and my soon to be 6 yr old is getting a 20" wheel Marin for her birthday. The 9 year old is already going on 8 mile loops with 6-700ft elevation gain. The 5 year old went six miles on her princess bike a few weekends ago... Granted the trail was a relatively flat canyon run. Both are girls... I am hopeful they will out run Dad in the next few years. The nine year old really loves it.

Their vocabulary - skinny trail = single track

Good stuff

mtbr member
    Hey Indianadave,
    Can you give me some recommended trails at Brown County? Looking to head down this spring with the family (3 kids: 11, 10, 8, all on 26" wheels now) and have never been down there before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pine Loop is easiest. Then ride from there up the north connector to North Tower Loop.
    North Tower isn't too bad, depending on how brave/confident your kids are.
    Then Limekiln is the other beginner trail, but it has actually gotten pretty rough with roots that have become exposed.
    The biggest thing at Brown County is that most trails ride along a bench cut in a slope and have some large drop-offs that can be pretty intimidating to kids.
    Let me know when you head there, and maybe my kids and I will join you and show you around.