Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is what my 5yo ride around the local trails in DFW. No issues. I'm running the biggest 20x1 3/8 Comp III knobbies sold. No issues. He does fine. Can't remember the gearing off hand. Cranks are a little long, but he adapts. Around 15-16lbs We are not as serious about trail riding as bmx. He rides clipped in bmx, but flats for the trail as of now.
    Check the video at the bottom...these bikes are fast.

This is his 20" full Ti race bike @ 11lbs...

TX State Championship Race...

This is his 24"race bike @ 13.5lbs...

Check this video...
    ABA Grand Nationals 2009 taking 2nd place(gate 8 checkerboard white/black)
    http://www.go211.com/videos/19407

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    wycough,

Great pics! That's a pretty serious BMX racer. Any chance you could post another pic of the 1 3/8" tire to show the width. This is the only thing holding me back from having my 5 year old use a BMX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll get you the pics, but will be late tonite or even tomorrow. The red Redline is his around the neighborhood/trail bike. It's not as dialed in as the race bikes, but as of now he's fast and it does just fine. Compared to his other bikes, once I add slime to the tubes the red bike wheelset seems to weigh a ton. LOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here's the tire pics. Not sure you can tell real sizing from these. 20 x 1 3/8 is as big as you can go on the mini rims. These are Comp III knockoffs for about $11 a piece.

More trail fun...different bike. Intense Micro Knobbies 20 x 1 1/8, not a good tire for the trails. He had just turned 5 in these pics. Thats a buddy in the background. He and I are building this trail for our city.

mtbr member
    Nice bikes.

wycough, check the gearing on your son's red bike. I noticed that once I went from the stock (race) gearing of 37/14 on my son's redline to 37/18, he was much, much happier around the block and on some trails. He finds hills a challenge now instead of a knock the wind out of your sails cause you gotta walk the bike obstacle.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The red bike is running 43/18 which is a 50 gear inch. Much higher than your son, however mine races at a 51.7 gear inch(39x15) and about to move up. Going to 37x14 or a 47x18. He is very dialed in on his race gearing. Of course the 24" is slighly different, but still in the high 51's. The terrain around here seems to fit the 43/18 fine. It had the 43 on it when I bought it, but I switched to the 18 rear.

Wish I had some trail video, but only some bmx right now. Sooner Nationals 2nd place

Check this video...
    ABA Grand Nationals 2009 taking 2nd place(gate 8 checkerboard white/black)
    http://www.go211.com/videos/19407

I did find this...first ride on the trails. 4 1/2 years old.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    And for those of you worried about tire size. Lose the mini rims. Get regular 20x1.5 rims and tires(or bigger depending on frame). Buy the Bombshell brakes adapters and your set.

http://www.bombshellparts.com/shop/B...rakeParts.html

FYI...
    The mini rims are taller than the regular bmx rims, so the brakes will not line up with the rims unless you use the adapters.

Seat tube angle is different with different manufacturers. Padded seats are available. No gears for either of us...both singlespeeds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    On my sons first Intense BMX race bike converted for trails, I ran a 1.5 rear and a 2.1 upfront. Maybe 16-17lbs this way with slime. Once again 4 1/2 yo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great Thread,
    My boy turns 5 soon and spent today on some smooth singletrack on his Hotrock 16, he does great as long as it is flat or downhill, climbs are an issue. I am looking to move him up this summer. For this age I like these BMX bikes, the Redline Mini looks promising.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bike vs BMX (for 6y/o)-singletrackkai.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been searching around for a new bike for my son's birthday in May. He's going to be 7. My wife is hesitating on getting him a quality bike and wants to pick up a cheaper bike because she thinks he's going to grow out of it too fast. He really likes to ride though. He always wants to go in the local trail near the house. He got a camelbak last year from Santa. I am torn between a SE Mini Ripper with the 71 deg seat angle and the Redline Conquest 20. I like the SS due to simplicity. I really don't think he will be able to shift and will be frustrated. He has a coaster brake now and I think the brake levers and shifter would frustrate him. I ride a rigid SS so he really doesn't know much about geared bikes and suspension. After reading this thread, I think the BMX mini is great. His current bike weighs more than my steel 26" SS. At 16 lbs he will fly on one of these. I have to get him on one to size it up though. These things really look like 29ers. I don't think the 1 1/8 tires would be that bad. If it is really muddy, he's not going to be riding in it anyway. He could give bmx a try too with this bike. They built a track here last year.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
    GP

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    I've been searching around for a new bike for my son's birthday in May. He's going to be 7. My wife is hesitating on getting him a quality bike and wants to pick up a cheaper bike because she thinks he's going to grow out of it too fast. He really likes to ride though. He always wants to go in the local trail near the house. He got a camelbak last year from Santa. I am torn between a SE Mini Ripper with the 71 deg seat angle and the Redline Conquest 20. I like the SS due to simplicity. I really don't think he will be able to shift and will be frustrated. He has a coaster brake now and I think the brake levers and shifter would frustrate him. I ride a rigid SS so he really doesn't know much about geared bikes and suspension. After reading this thread, I think the BMX mini is great. His current bike weighs more than my steel 26" SS. At 16 lbs he will fly on one of these. I have to get him on one to size it up though. These things really look like 29ers. I don't think the 1 1/8 tires would be that bad. If it is really muddy, he's not going to be riding in it anyway. He could give bmx a try too with this bike. They built a track here last year.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
    GP
    Sounds like a good train of thought...kinda like my own! For 6-7 year olds, SS is the way to go for most. Could he learn to use the gears? Sure, but why possibly frustrate him with that now when the trails are perfectly rideable w/o gears? Any trails I can't take my SS on would be too technical for my son to ride, anyway. He'll pick up using the hand brake on the BMX mini pretty quickly.

Definitely get a quality bike. It's tempting to go cheap because kids outgrow things so fast, but some things you just shouldn't go too cheap on, like shoes. For that matter, a cheapo bike may actually fall apart before he outgrows it, and then you have to get another! And a quality bike can be resold when you're done with it instead of just heaved in the dumpster like the cheapies. So the quality bike is cheaper in the long run - and more fun to ride!
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Don't underestimate what you kid can do. I have my 7y/o daughter on a geared 24" bike. She rode close to 10 miles on some decent single track. She works the rear shifter fine, but she does still have trouble with the front. The bike is heavier, but I don't think she could come close on a single speed. Either way you definately want to get your kid to the BMX track. I take both mine and it's made a big diffenence in how well they ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

bought trek mt 60

My sons are ages 6 & 7. Bought 2xtrek mt 60 because the LBS I use carries trek and I got a good deal for buying 2. 20" rims but the frame is large for 20" and the cranks are adjustable. Weight is similar to the ungeared 20" hotrock and bmx SS they replaced (good, not great). I figure these are good for 2 years easy then upgrade straight to 26.

6 speed in the rear and suspension fork. I think gears were worth it because a. my sons really wanted gears and b. in florida we get a lot of mud and the granny gear helps a lot. so far (about 2 weeks in) happy with the purchase. One downside worth mentioning is that one of the wheels got knocked out of true first time out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wycough
    On my sons first Intense BMX race bike converted for trails, I ran a 1.5 rear and a 2.1 upfront. Maybe 16-17lbs this way with slime. Once again 4 1/2 yo.

Where do you find a zero reach stem like that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The zero reach stem is made by Crupi. You can get it at JR bicycles. I think it costs $50-60ish. I got one for my daughter for her micro mini on Ebay. It's a sweet little unit, but pricey for a kids bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bumping this one up,since there is always someone asking about buying kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bumping up for gear ratios . Just got 2 mini's for my 2 mini's . They are 5 and 7 both 3'8" 42 pounds and loving it. Just looking for some ideas on gear ratios . We don't have any pavement to ride on so every thing we do is in grass or dirt up hill both ways . Looking at a 34 x16 or 36 x18 any idea's . I think the 15.5 pound mini BMX bikes are hot ....... it's like they are on mini 29er's . Zero reach stems are almost mandatory for my two . It really dials in the top tube for them. A bump for us........ Aren't we the coolest Dads ever .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sportfish258
    Bumping up for gear ratios . Just got 2 mini's for my 2 mini's . They are 5 and 7 both 3'8" 42 pounds and loving it. Just looking for some ideas on gear ratios . We don't have any pavement to ride on so every thing we do is in grass or dirt up hill both ways . Looking at a 34 x16 or 36 x18 any idea's . I think the 15.5 pound mini BMX bikes are hot ....... it's like they are on mini 29er's . Zero reach stems are almost mandatory for my two . It really dials in the top tube for them. A bump for us........ Aren't we the coolest Dads ever .

Yeah, were cool. My six year old daughter uses a 36x22 on pretty much every thing that is not pavement, but she not the "mash on the pedals" type. More of a spinner.

This give her enough gear to get up almost anything reasonable for a six year old. She is not aggressive enough to spin it out on the downhills either, so it works out good for her.

mtbr member
    I put an 18 on the back of my son's mini. I think if we were to do more aggressive trail riding, I'd opt for a 20. With the 18, he spun similar to my 29-ers 32/20. But it's a bit fast pace for my son to be hitting some of the trail features. So a little lower gearing should keep him from bogging as well as help with some hills.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    good stuff.... My son is doing better with a 34 x 16 My girl is pushing a 38x17 . I think when the handling skills get better a 34 x 20 ish range for trails would be perfect . I do plan on using the flip flop hub set up to go between ratios . Just in a learning curve finding out what they are able to do on different terrain. We have only been off training wheels 3 weeks . They are doing very well and want to ride all the time . I think these light minis are a real nitch that our little one's can benefit from.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My son is 10 and i just got him the specialize hot rock. hes a good rider but hes raced dirt bikes since he was 3. its fun for these little guys to ride with dad.
    $hane Ghent
    NO TIME TO FEAR ONLY TIME TO REACT!!!!!!!!!!

I AM I AM
    We brought a standard BMX (20.25" TT) for our almost 7yr old late last year, his 16" Apollo Radius got a revamp and went to the 5 1/2yr old daughter.
    But the thing is that our daughter who is almost as tall as our Son outgrew the 16"er quicker than expected, and she's never been anywhere near as confident or into riding as our son either, which I was thinking the somewhat unstable 16"er wasn't helping.
    So dear daughter turned 6 last month and has been handed down our Sons bmx. In the meantime I had brought myself a BMX earlier this year, so to level the whole playing field I simply decided to swap my mtb for another bmx (which my Son now rides).

All that's left to do is get out there and spend more time with the kids on the bikes, and in particular try to build dear daughters confidence up or else she'll end up a chicken like her mother (me).

So far the only things I've really done is made sure that the daughters bike has the pink pedals, the sons bike has the blue rims and mine looks nice and plane jane! Lol, but on a serious note I've got some Michelin Mambo knobblies up front which give a lot more grip in the pea gravel around our house in particular, and don't seem detrimental on the occasions I can get the bikes to the skate park in town (not that often without a tow bar on my current car), and it's pretty handy that adjacent to the skate park is a tennis court, which is perfect for dear daughter to pedal around!
    Yes I've found tektro brake levers work best for little fingers because they are adjustable unlike something such as the odyssey monolever for example. That's about it, I can see the bikes lasting for years with some spec changes now and then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just got my 9-year old a GT Stomper 24 for $250 Aluminum frame and some Shimao component. Took him for a ride around the easy trail. His 7 year old brother on 20" BMX blew him off by a mile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khaotom
    I just got my 9-year old a GT Stomper 24 for $250 Aluminum frame and some Shimao component. Took him for a ride around the easy trail. His 7 year old brother on 20" BMX blew him off by a mile.
    That's funny.

My son just recently turned 8. We went on a ride again (I have my daughter still BARELY fitting an ibert safe T seat and son is still on his proline mini.)

My single speed 29-er is gone. So I'm back on my 1x9 mountain bike. Though my daughter probably likes the 140mm of travel for herself.

I noticed the proline mini is barely starting to look a little tight for Ryan. He's only 49" tall so the bike still fits. But he's definitely stronger. The hills he struggled with and needed momentum to clear, he can actually accelerate up. He seems to be light enough (50#) that the bumps don't bother him too much (yet).

Now these are very easy trails. But hey, makes for good family time. Now I'm on the look-out for the next bike. I may have to go to some sort of modified 24" with a 1x9 or 1x8 drivetrain with a twist grip. Still not feeling the front fork though. Maybe it's because I've ridden a rigid 29-er on some technical trails and have embarrassed guys on full sussers...I think the boy can do better with a rigid chromoly fork.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    it's interesting how much a bmx mini looks proportionally like a 26" dirt jumper. i rode bmx for 25+ years, then switched to 26" mtbmx 4 years ago (and never rode 20"s again!).

Blackmarket MOB 26" MTBMX:

Haro Mini:
    [IMG]http://****************/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/haro-mini-2010-bmx-bike.jpg[/IMG]

i don't know whose kid this is, but out at our pump/jump track spot, he definitely showed some good bike handling skills on his light bmx mini:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast