Slothful dirt hippie

More pedals: recommended flats?

Daughter's Marin Hidden Canyon is great, but her tennis shoes are already slipping off the stock plastic pedals while bone-dry. This aint gonna work.

Any recommendations of flat pedals that don't suck and won't turn her shins to mincemeat? TIA!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I like bikes
    IMO, traction and mincemeat shins go hand-in-hand. My kids use some decent Wellgos.
    I bought them volleyball (slip-on) knee pads and some matching soccer shin guards, works
    great for armour for little guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My kids are currently using Eastern CFR BMX platform Pedals. They seemed to help a ton over the stock ones that came on their bike. Jenson has them on sale right now for $5. Not the lightest pedal, but they were cheap and working for them.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyd1974 View Post
    My kids are currently using Eastern CFR BMX platform Pedals. They seemed to help a ton over the stock ones that came on their bike. Jenson has them on sale right now for $5. Not the lightest pedal, but they were cheap and working for them.
    Thanks for the info!

Nobody else?
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles -- Wellgo M111 Pedals

After reading from others using these I bought two pairs. They are light and the ends are rounded. Traction seems ok. It's tough because of the opposing functions of traction and safety, these are a reasonable compromise.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

N/A
    Feb 2004
    I stick to the cheap kids sized plastic pedals. The pedals are so low to the ground on these bikes that I worry about pedal-strike induced crashes with bigger pedals. Kids don't always realize that leaning into corners while pedaling as fast as they can isn't a good idea. The plastic pedals don't have the best grip but pedal grip isn't the limiting factor in my kids riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    These have good traction in the wet with the skateboard grip tape, are light and produce minimum mincemeat.
    Light weight kids pedals

eBiker
    A little late to the party, but these pedals have the best of both worlds;
    pins, but with rounded nubs to prevent pin penetration. Low side profile (the width of a kid's foot) as well so they don't get caught on trail objects.

So far they have worked great for the kids & wife. Sealing is a bit poor tho.

SINZ MINI PLATFORM PEDAL

Sinz - PEDALING, PEDALS, PLATFORM PEDAL

P

Wēk Ss
    Those Sinz are badass. I use the Wellgo M-111 with Ti spindles, as Asmodeus2112 linked to. The primary reason is because I don't want to destroy my kid's shoes or their shins. The other because I'm a full-on weight weenie for my kid's bikes.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I use the Wellgo M-111 with Ti spindles, as Asmodeus2112 linked to.
    IMKHE (In My Kid's Humble Experience ); his feet would blow off those during BMX racing. We even modded to make the teeth sharp - we wanted to keep them for the light weight, but it still happened. Just our 2.

Dunno about how they perform on the trail tho.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 10-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    IMKHE (In My Kid's Humble Experience ); his feet would blow off those during BMX racing. We even modded to make the teeth sharp - we wanted to keep them for the light weight, but it still happened. Just our 2.

Dunno about how they perform on the trail tho.

P
    No, I wouldn't recommend the M-111's for BMX racing. But they seem fine for trail riding. My kids mostly ride in good conditions and we're just riding cross country, not down hill or anything. My son just turned 10 and is talking about going clipless, so they got him that far. Once the kid gets strong enough and good enough to handle the bike and avoid major shin/calf pedal contact I'll move them to more aggressive flats or clipless depending on the application and kids desire.

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah, e-bay has lots of colors of M-111's too...

Pedals Wellgo M111 | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Those Sinz are badass. I use the Wellgo M-111 with Ti spindles, as Asmodeus2112 linked to. The primary reason is because I don't want to destroy my kid's shoes or their shins. The other because I'm a full-on weight weenie for my kid's bikes.
    Didn't know there were Ti spindles, where have you found those?