Birdman aka JMJ

Mini BMX seatpost - Custom vs. Odyssey Jr.

I recently got my 4 year old daughter a 2008 16" Specialized Hotrock (in hiding for Christmas). After a quick cleaning and tune, I decided that the spec was pretty decent except for the steel seatpost.

I searched for a lighter 22.2mm seatpost, but they are very expensive or very heavy (or too short). I decided on an Odyssey Jr. post and scored a good deal on one. Only problem is that the post is only 180mm long. I sized it up to the bike, which I had already adjusted the seat height to my daughter's leg length, and I was already near the recommended max height for the Odyssey post.

So, I ordered some thickwall 6061 aluminum 7/8" OD tubing and dug up an old Syncros hardcore seat clamp that I'd had in my parts bin for a decade.

Since the seat clamp was sized for a 27.2mm post and could not be turned down sufficiently to fit the 22.2mm post, I fabricated a 6061 aluminum adapter sleeve and married the 2 parts together. Everything is bonded together with high strength metal epoxy. A little clunky, but lighter than the steel post.

Here's a comparison. The Odyssey post is 180mm and 152g, the hybrid Syncros post is 235mm and 212g.

I'll post an update once I have it mounted and tested.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Birdman aka JMJ
    I mounted the post on the bike last night. I had a brief WTF!!! moment when I saw that the seat rails were 3/8" narrower than the spacing on the seat clamp, but it turned out to be the way the steel seatpost clamp squeezes everything together. A good hard pull on the seatrails re-spaced them to the correct dimension.

Doesn't look too bad - sheds 120g over the steel post (332g vs. 212g).

JMJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini BMX seatpost - Custom vs. Odyssey Jr.-syncros-post-3.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Very nice. It gives the already industrial looking syncros seatpost clamp a little more edge. You are letting the world know your daughter is ready to rip up some trails...