mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Medium DJ bike - will it fit a 10 year old?

So I've got an idea. My 10yo son wants to move to a 26" MTB from his 24" Hotrock. I can't seem to find anything decent used for a good price in his size range (13" or XS).

I came across a Specialized P3 dirt jump bike, and I had a thought. Since it has such a low sloping top tube, maybe it would fit him heightwise. I don't know if the reach might be off, that's what I don't know about DJ frames.

The bonus to this? I can take an occasional rip on it too, just raise the seat! Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Depends on your sons build. DJ bikes still generally have long TT so they fit adult/larger riders.
    What's the rush? Just look at a DJ bike, it's smaller to make tricks easier, same principle for a 10 year old. Keep him on the 24 inch unless it's obviously too small, but I doubt it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The DJ bike will be a little heavy due to the fact that it's built to handle huge air. I would suggest searching this forum for Sette Reken. I'm building one for my son as I write this. $99 or less for the frame from PricePoint. I think at their age (my son is 10 as well) they benefit from a light weight 26er over a FS. I picked up a cheap doner bike that had decent components and disk brakes. I'm building it as a 1x9 to keep things simple and light. It'll easily weigh less than his 24" Haro and roll over rocks easier with the bigger tires. I'll be posting the build in the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    The DJ bike will be a little heavy due to the fact that it's built to handle huge air. I would suggest searching this forum for Sette Reken. I'm building one for my son as I write this. $99 or less for the frame from PricePoint. I think at their age (my son is 10 as well) they benefit from a light weight 26er over a FS. I picked up a cheap doner bike that had decent components and disk brakes. I'm building it as a 1x9 to keep things simple and light. It'll easily weigh less than his 24" Haro and roll over rocks easier with the bigger tires. I'll be posting the build in the next week or so.
    I was just looking at the Reken frame last night. That's a great idea, then I realized I would need a donor bike too. So now I'm on the hunt for a nice donor to swap the components from. Thanks for the affirmation that I'm on the right track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In my search for a decent donor bike to build up a Sette Reken, I came across a 2010 Hardrock, 26" wheels and a 13" frame. Done deal.

I'm sure the Reken would have come out pretty nice and lighter than the Speci, but I would likely have spent more (time and money) and it wouldn't have that integrated look and feel that the kids like.

The bonus is the Hardrock looks a lot like my 08 Enduro, so my 10 year old loves his "new" bike!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Finished the Reken build and rode twice this weekend. My son loves it. He was able to carry more speed through the small hills and was clearing hills and rock gardens much easier and with more confidence. I also picked up the softest spring available for the XC28 fork so now he's actually using up a good amount of travel on the fork. I'm still planning on posting the build but have been busy lately. Good luck with yours!