mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Marin Tiny Trail: Weight?

Anyone know the total weight of this bike?
    Wanted to know weight vs. Specialized Hotrock. I'm looking at a 2nd hand. 2005.

Having a suspension fork looks cool, but don't know if it's a significant weight disadvantage.

Mike
    Last edited by panamamike; 06-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went ahead and bought the bike and weighed it. Comes to 21.5 lbs., no training wheels with kick stand. she's able to ride it fine on the street, but struggles on grass/gravel trail.

Anyone have thoughts on adding a three speed? I've seen folks mention this is expensive. Don't know if anyone has actually done it.

One thing I noticed is the three speed gives you one gear up and one down. I've seen recommendations of making the lowest gear "normal" then have the other two as climbing gears. Don't know if this would be possible for a 16 inch bike crank.

Regards,

Mike

mtbr member

Marin Tiny Trail: Weight?

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)

Down in the thread is the info on how I did the 3 speed on her Spawn 16". Expense depends on what u have laying around. I already had shifter and derailleur so that saved a bunch. Just needed freewheel and dropout

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for sharing, very cool. I read that adding such a gear wouldn't fit a 16 inch bike. Did you run into any issues with the chain clearance? The bottom pulley of the derailleur looks awful close to ground level.

Unfortunately, I don't have any "extra" parts. I'm thinking if I decide to do it, an internal hub would be a better route.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Adding a 3-speed IGH would be very heavy addition to a kids bike and would be fairly expensive proposition unless you re-used an old used IGH from a junked bike, co-op etc.

For a typical kid rider on a 16" bike, just keeping them on relativly flat rides is probably better tactic than trying to add gearing to ride hills. You could also change out the freewheel or chainring to get them lower 1 speed gearing, I have found that my daughters dont ever try to go fast enough to max-out standard gearing thier 16" came with.

Looks like some of the easy upgrades for your bike might be to replace ditch the chainguard, add a front brake caliper and lever to get them practice braking with both hands. Check the stem, bars, seatpost for any rediculously heavy weight parts.

The suspension fork is likly heavy and inneffective but replacing it is probably not worthwhlile unless you happen across a suitable replacement rigid for for free/cheap.

I would probably start collecting parts now for a nicer 20" bike and get that all tricked out for when you kid quickly outgrows the 16" and has developed the size/strength/skills to make good use of the more advanced bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    For a typical kid rider on a 16" bike, just keeping them on relativly flat rides is probably better tactic than trying to add gearing to ride hills. You could also change out the freewheel or chainring to get them lower 1 speed gearing, I have found that my daughters dont ever try to go fast enough to max-out standard gearing thier 16" came with.
    Agree with this point...I had read about this and was thinking along these lines, I wasn't aware that the 3 speed hub would be that heavy. I was wanting the gearing so that my daughter could ride with her brother on some gravel type trails that have some dips. Hopefully the wheel will allow for a larger sprocket.

Looks like some of the easy upgrades for your bike might be to replace ditch the chainguard, add a front brake caliper and lever to get them practice braking with both hands. Check the stem, bars, seatpost for any rediculously heavy weight parts.
    Was thinking of replacing the handlebars. However, I think I'd just save about 1/2 lb. there, wasn't sure if I should spend the money here or on the hub.

The suspension fork is likly heavy and inneffective but replacing it is probably not worthwhlile unless you happen across a suitable replacement rigid for for free/cheap.
    Fork is actually pretty cool, it does travel, yeah may weigh a bit more than a standard one, but not too bad.

I would probably start collecting parts now for a nicer 20" bike and get that all tricked out for when you kid quickly outgrows the 16" and has developed the size/strength/skills to make good use of the more advanced bike.
    She'll inherit her brothers 20" and I'll pick up another 2nd hand so shouldn't be too expensive. Actually, trying to do the mods ends up costing more than the bike.

Thanks for the thoughts, valid points.

Regards,

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Three speed IGH weigh around 1000-1100gr, feel like they are filled with lead. The cheap old used IGH you can find at most any co-op aresteel shell sturmy-archers. Nicer aluminum shell IGH do exist but are going to cost a fair amount unless you can get one used.

Sturmey Archer