mtbr member

Mac Ride - A Unique Child Seat for Adult Mountain Bikes

I saw an article about the Mac Ride seat today on Pink Bike and it looks like a great option for kids who have outgrown an iBert seat.

There is a Kickstarter project to fund the production of the seats. If you pledge, you could have one by the end of the year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lt-mountain-bi

Pink Bike article
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/the-mac-ride-2014.html

I can't wait to get this for my kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    saw this today as well - my little guy is only 11 weeks old, but I really like the looks of it for use in a few years!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Used similar. Contacted to see if I could get one for my 4 year old son for my upcoming trips to Mammoth. He's just to big for an older competitor's product which I've used for my two prior children who just loved / who I loved sharing the experience with. Please contact me guys...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There is already something like that on the market, I think from a UK company? I saw it last year and then saw the high price and quickly forgot about it.

Edit: LOCT is the company:

Little Ones Come Too™ Child Bike Seat, Child-Accompanied Cycling

I have mixed thoughts about these things. Not from a safety standpoint, but more so that when my son outgrew the Ibert, he was off and running on his own bike. Seems like a lot of coin for that LOCT for a short time span of useage.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Birdman aka JMJ
    I have a LOCT saddle. I don't believe they are in business anymore, but I could be wrong.

The LOCT was a big hit with my first daughter, not so much with my second. My girls are 6 and 4 years old now and can ride their own bikes quite well. But, I have a 20 month old son who will get some use out of the LOCT.

I got a decent deal on it, lower than MSRP. I rigged a second handlebar for my daughters, which helps them hold on, and me maintain control.

If the MAC Ride was available a few years ago, I'd be all over it.

Advantages over the LOCT seem to be lighter weight and ease of removal. On the other hand, the LOCT has a rubber-coated seat to keep your child from sliding around, and it was a bit more adjustable to keep your kids' feet clear of the front wheel.

I think a second handlebar would be a great option for either system, but a QR version, versus the fixed version I made.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I want crash videos of this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why do people get all weird about mid mount bike seats? They are stable as ****
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

dadamamabooboo
    This sure is a divisive topic among riders..there seems to be little middle ground..people either love it or fear it. I'm not going to go into the nuances of all the various pros and cons here..more than likely if you're on this thread you know them already. What I can say is that I've logged over 100 hundred miles of both paved and dirt trails with my 3 yo daughter up front on our i-Bert front seat. We've never had a fall, and I also never ride trails that seriously challenge my abilities. I feel no less stable with her riding along, which surprised me a bit at the outset. I need to upload all the action cam videos we've made together. We have literally hours and hours of raw video..also shorter edited versions I can upload to a youtube or similar account. It's helpful to see them in action. I'd even rented one on a 29er last week while we were out in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm excited about this mac-ride. She's reached the weight limit of 38 lbs, even though I feel we could continue. Not sure how much more, but I think the experience would reveal itself quickly enough to know. It looks like they got funded in July. Are they still $195? I paid just under $90 with shipping for our 'pink' i-Bert.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 9-sp X5, X5 RD, SRAM X7 22/32/44 & Shimano Deore FD, HG-61 custom 9-sp 11-36, M475 rear hub