mtbr member

Looking For Some Advice

My son is 6. He is about 46" tall and weighs about the same.

He has 2 bikes right now. A Hotrock 20" coaster, and a Mongoose Massif Fatbike. He LOVES the fat bike, but its a bit too big for him, and it weighs 39.2 pounds! But with disc brakes and gears, it will take him pretty much anywhere I would want him riding at this point.

The Hotrock is alot lighter at only 26.4 pounds, but its a single speed coaster with no front brake.

He rides the Hotrock a lot better, it fits him better and is 15 pounds lighter.

My thoughts are to setup the Hotrock to be trail worthy. I have a full set of XT V-brakes, an XT rear dealer, I can get some brake levers and a shifter, and will probably stick with the 1 piece crank. My question is the fork. If I am going to spend the $$$ to get a fork with brake studs, or a disc mount, would it make more sense to buy a suspension fork?

turtles make me hot
    I don't know... I went through a couple of forks when I built my son's 20" Gary Fisher.
    Probably would have been better off searching out a rigid but the LBS found me a half decent suspension fork with vee brake bosses and 1 1/8 steerer.

About the fatty, I'm currently lightening up a set of those wheels and I've knocked quite a bit of weight out of them with triangular holes. Those tires weigh a ton though.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    What fork did you end up with on the Gary Fisher?

I'm very familiar with lightening up he wheels. Here is a pic of the wheels on my fat bike.

I plan on making the massif lighter, hopefully by about 10 pounds. But it's still a bit big, so I want to get the HotRock done. Or buy him a different bike if that makes more sense money wise.

turtles make me hot
    I did exactly those same triangles on the Massif rims. I'm almost done.

I believe they got me an RST Cappa. Not great, but it was certainly better than the fork that came on the bike originally.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    My question is the fork. If I am going to spend the $$$ to get a fork with brake studs, or a disc mount, would it make more sense to buy a suspension fork?
    I don't have any experience with 20" forks other than bouncing them up and down at the LBS. I have not done that with the well reviewed Spinner Air and White Bros 20" forks.

I read through a bunch of threads here and thought about what sort of trails I'd be taking my boys to and decided against a suspension fork until they get up to the 24" size. I would recommend you read through a bunch of old threads if you haven't already. There is so much other good information to learn from.

I do have a question, though. Does the Specialized have 135mm rear spacing or is it 110 mm like the 16" bikes with coaster brakes?

If the latter, how many speeds can you squeeze in there? Three?

mtbr member
    Thats a good point on the rear spacing. I will need to measure that. I don't mind spreading the dropout an inch, as long as the cranks don't hit the frame. I spread my Fatbike from 170mm to 190mm. Steel bends pretty easily...

If the frame can't be widened, I'm better off buying him another bike.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Thats a good point on the rear spacing. Steel bends pretty easily...
    That Specialized is aluminum and won't bend easily. Especially with stays that short.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    That Specialized is aluminum and won't bend easily. Especially with stays that short.
    Its a steel frame according to the magnet, but its for sure narrow. And there is only about a 1/2 inch between the chain stays and the crank arms. Maybe its time to look for an actual 20" mtb.