mtbr member
    May 2009

Lock-On Grips for 24" Bike

My son's Marin Bayview Trail (24") has some really bad grips. My son complained about them last fall on the last rides and when I checked, they were sliding out quite easily.

Can someone recommend lock-on grips that are small enough for a 9 year old? I did some research and the ODI Ruffian seems to be smaller than most. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm trying to get ready for the spring!!

NONDURO
    Both my 6.75 and 8 year old sons are using the Oury lock-on grips (with colourful anodised ODI lock-on clamps) on their bikes. Yes, they are adult-wide, but they’ve been able to use the extra width (I have them mounted on bars wider than stock, but with the shifters/brake levers in pretty much the same space they were before) to an advantage when tackling rugged terrain. I don’t have any experience with the ODI Ruffians unfortunately.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

turtles make me hot
    My 8 year old son has Ruffians. They fit fine.
    I like turtles

N/A
    Feb 2004
    ODI Ruffians. They're fine for my 4 year old who has the bad habit of tossing the bike down when done riding. That quickly shredded the rubber grips. No issue with size or reaching the brake levers. I had to pick up one full-size pair and one grip-shift size pair, but now I have a spare of each.

Wēk Sôs
    Small Ruffians are good. Another brand to look at Lizard Skins Shorty. I haven't used them though. An alternative to locking, I use cut down Lizard Skins Moab grips (has a slot to slice away), non-locking. It doesn't slip or move and is also cheap. I do have ODI Ruffians in the short size, which I haven't put on yet (no need so far). The Ruffians seem fine and would do the trick, but I feel the pure rubber of the Moab is just fine right now. Plus it helps me from screwing up and over tightening onto a carbon handlebar. :P

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    The Ruffians seem fine and would do the trick, but I feel the pure rubber of the Moab is just fine right now. Plus it helps me from screwing up and over tightening onto a carbon handlebar. :P
    Dude, Jayden’s rocking the carbon? You’re a cooler dad than me! My kids get aluminum bars.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Dude, Jayden’s rocking the carbon? You’re a cooler dad than me! My kids get aluminum bars.
    LOL, yeah. Carbon bars (Easton EC70) and a carbon seatpost (Token). He's also got Ti skewers. :P

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    ODI Ruffians. They're fine for my 4 year old who has the bad habit of tossing the bike down when done riding. That quickly shredded the rubber grips. No issue with size or reaching the brake levers. I had to pick up one full-size pair and one grip-shift size pair, but now I have a spare of each.
    How come you bought one of each? What's the advantage of having a short one and a full size one? On which side of the handlebar did you install the short one? I never thought about this, as I don't know if the short ones are going to be wide enough for him.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    How come you bought one of each? What's the advantage of having a short one and a full size one? On which side of the handlebar did you install the short one? I never thought about this, as I don't know if the short ones are going to be wide enough for him.
    I needed one of each because it's a 1x6 drivetrain so there's only a twist shifter on one side.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    These aren't lock-on, but ESI grips are very tight and don't slide. I haven't had any movement on mine for 6 months now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hairspray also works. If you have some in the house try it out before buying new grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do what danmtchl says, it works great.

mtbr member
    I put lock-on ODI Ruffians on my 8 year old's Marin Bayview Trail, and they have worked great. Not as thick as my ODI Rogues (which I love), but with plenty of grip -- so perfect for kids' hands.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    I put lock-on ODI Ruffians on my 8 year old's Marin Bayview Trail, and they have worked great. Not as thick as my ODI Rogues (which I love), but with plenty of grip -- so perfect for kids' hands.
    Did you buy the regular ones or the short ones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    Did you buy the regular ones or the short ones?
    Just the regular ones -- seem to work fine.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners