pedal up
    Dec 2009

lightest / best 20" slight knobby tire

hey FRK forum...

this has probably been asked and answered but i'm looking for the LIGHTEST / best 20" tire with a slight knob to it.

my 7yr old son is just transitioning to the hard pack / single track trail riding experience and i want to make it easy and grip-secure.

on that note, don't think he'll need too much of a knob and want to keep the rolling resistance / weight way down.

fyi: he's riding a non-suspension Specialized 6sp Hotrock with 20" slicks that we're planning to switch out to the subtle knob.

thanks,
    Todd

ps. and if any of ya happen to have like a really kick-butt 24" front or full suspension custom build kid's bike for sale... i'm interested

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mow Joe HS 371 | Schwalbe North America

The Mow-Joe with folding bead is probably your best bet for a 20" lightweight dirt tire,
    1-3/8" (37mm) = 290gr,
    1.85" (48mm) = 330gr
    2" (50mm) = 380gr

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Mow Joe HS 371 | Schwalbe North America

The Mow-Joe with folding bead is probably your best bet for a 20" lightweight dirt tire,
    1-3/8" (37mm) = 290gr,
    1.85" (48mm) = 330gr
    2" (50mm) = 380gr
    This, it's what I have on my daughters 20 inch bike and what I have on the rear of my son's 24 inch bike. Great tires at a great weight.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    cheers... looks good all around... weight, knob and price.

have ordered a set of the 1.85" up and looking fwd to the trails with the little man!

still interested in similar themed options as we move up the 24" / 26" realm... suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Moe Joes are good in 24" as well. Rocket Rons are also available in 24" - more grip but 20g heavier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    cheers... looks good all around... weight, knob and price.

have ordered a set of the 1.85" up and looking fwd to the trails with the little man!

still interested in similar themed options as we move up the 24" / 26" realm... suggestions?
    I have the Rocket Ron on the front and the Mow Joe on the rear of my son's 24 inch bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Kenda Small Block 8 is available in those sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    +1. As much as I love blinging out my kids' bikes, I can't justify spending $40 or more on a tire when SB8's are available for $20.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    +1. As much as I love blinging out my kids' bikes, I can't justify spending $40 or more on a tire when SB8's are available for $20.
    Depends on your traction needs, there is a noticeable difference going from SB8 to Mow Joes.

I'd consider the SB8 to be good road/hardpack tire. On our rooty/rocky/ muddy east coast trails, my daughter prefers the Mow Joe. The SB8 came on her bike originally.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'd consider the SB8 to be good road/hardpack tire. On our rooty/rocky/ muddy east coast trails, my daughter prefers the Mow Joe.
    Then the SB8 fits the original poster's requirements "don't think he'll need too much of a knob and want to keep the rolling resistance / weight way down.
    ...we're planning to switch out to the subtle knob."

Joe's son (24") and mine (20") rode Tuesday night in MD. Trails were generally damp with thick slop puddles every .5 mi and typical east coast root/rock and stream crossings. SB8 tires were all packed up and never spun free because the speeds never got over 10mi/hr. Ave speed for 5+ miles was 4.5+/-. Kids were off the bike pushing and it wasn't because of the lack of traction.

Sure everyone's needs are different and I wouldn't have been riding them in those conditions if I was traveling at a spirited pace. We're building up his next bike with much more substantial rubber since skill and speeds will be increasing over the lifespan of this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    SB8's are notoriously slow rolling for minimal traction. The euros have done plenty of tyre tests that show the SB8s to have high rolling resistance for low traction. Just because a tyre has lots of little knobs on it doesn't mean it is a faster rolling tyre than something with larger knobs or a more open tread pattern. Many other factors go into making a fast rolling tyre.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    The euros have done plenty of tyre tests that show the SB8s to have high rolling resistance for low traction.
    Point me to this info. Always up for some good reading material.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    To add some weight data points - I bought 6 Mow Joe 20 x 2.0" tires from Chain Reaction when they were on special.
    Weights were: 402g, 405g, 416g, 433g, 441g, 455g
    and not the 380g claimed on the box. I put aside the lightest two for a 20" bike when my eldest turns 6, and returned the rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Point me to this info. Always up for some good reading material.
    Take a look at this thread - Tire test results from german "bike" magazine

mtbr member
    I went with the Tioga BMX Race : Powerblock on my daughters 20nch hot rock. I paid $25 each.

•20 x 2.10 – 13.93oz; 395g
    •20 x 1.95 – 13.40oz; 380g
    •20 x 1.75 – 12.35oz; 350g
    •20 x 1.60 – 10.76oz; 305g
    •20 x 1.40 – TBA
    •20 x 1-3/8 – 12.50oz; 355g
    •20 x 1-1/8 – 9.88oz; 280g

PRETENDURO
    The Small Block Eight is a very universal tire in terms of varying terrain/weather conditions. My sons have one on the rear of their bikes (20" mountain bike and 24" mountain bike) and I’ve also ridden about 200 miles on the 700x32 sized ones on my barely-geared pretend CX bike setup before, of which, when I rode it the conditions went from loose/rocky to sludgy/muddy and back throughout several rides, and I was impressed with the amount of traction available in such varying conditions.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

Mow Joe's won...

Thanks everyone for all your posts. I went with the MowJoe's - 1.85". Nice little tire with some fine grip. Light (though I wonder about claimed weight re: the above post). Fantastic look on the bike.

$66 incl exorbinate shipping direct from Schwalbe to my CDN doorstep... arrived just in time...

big NorthShore summer bike camp starts tomorrow!

lightest / best 20" slight knobby tire-photo.jpg