mtbr member
    Aug 2005

lighter stem / handlebars for Haro Z12 (suggestions?)

I'm looking for suggestions to take some weight off my daughter's 12" Haro.

I was hoping to find a lighter stem & handlebar combo than currently configured but the LBS said the 1" size makes it tough...

She's petite and will be making the transition from a skuut, so every lb counts.

Also, I was surprised how little rotational momentum the wheels carry. I guess that's why most kids jump up wheel sizes as soon as they comfortably can?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Is it a quill stem? Those are heavy and you'll be relegated to eBay for older parts and cruiser components for the most part. I don't know that you'll save weight there. Swapping to a lighter aluminum bar that you trim down for width will likely be effective, though. Take one out of your parts box, or snag a Performance special, etc...

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, the 12" bike isn't the place to be saving a bunch of weight. Sure, it's heavy for its size, but you can't do much about it and she's going to outgrow it quickly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    At her age, heavier bike makes a stronger rider....sorry I can't help.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider
    I'm looking for suggestions to take some weight off my daughter's 12" Haro.

I was hoping to find a lighter stem & handlebar combo than currently configured but the LBS said the 1" size makes it tough...

Also, I was surprised how little rotational momentum the wheels carry.
    A noble aim, indeed. My son's 12" bike is ridiculously heavy (25+ lbs?). He does struggle to carry it around, but rides it just fine.

Regarding the stem, your choices are very limited, if it is like my son's bike. A typical 1" quill is, i believe, 22.2mm in diameter. There is a 1" std. that is slightly smaller (21.2 or something), and is the domain of heavy cheap stems, as far as i could find. The only stem I could find was also pretty long (8cm) for such a little bike.

As for the wheel momentum, have you looked at the bearing adjustment? Inexpensive bikes notoriously come with bearings waaaay too tight, and properly adjusted roll just fine.

I haven't seen any lightweight 12" offerings (or accessories). A micro-mini BMX is the first chance you are going to have at that, but they are for bigger kids than a 12" bike (starting at about 5 years old)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i am new to this site and forum. i came across an ad for rottweiler puppies and sent an e-mail. i have not heard anything like e-mail several times now. i told him that the image is not a woman holding a puppy. if something is for sale on this site people to withdraw their ads or just keep running? i think i wonder if a game. site, or you know. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice work! Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated.