mtbr member
    May 2018

Lightened up Riprock 24

My 9yo got a rimrock 24 for christmas 2016 and it was such a great "first real" mountain bike for her. We were able to get out on some trails ride together and then we found a local summer race series and have really enjoyed doing that. She wasn't where she wanted to be after moving up this year so I sourced some older American classic 26 wheels, 2.2 rocket tons, rigid carbon fork, matura m2 hydro brakes, carbon bar and seat post, magnesium pedals, and switched out the twist shift for a trigger shifter with new silicone grips. That took the bike down from 29.5lb to 21lb and cost just under $300. She likes it waayyyy more now than with the plus tires and suspension fork. I'll move some of the parts to the 13" 27.5 she's going to get for christmas and likely move the 26" parts to a non-girly colored rimrock when my boy gets a little taller so those parts will get well used also.

Just throwing out some ideas for those of you who, like me, love the geo of that bike for the kids, but wanted to lighten things up.

Lightened up Riprock 24-img_3238.jpg

Lightened up Riprock 24-img_3256.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    do you think the white brothers fork would fit a 24x2.8 by any chance?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I didnít look as the 110mm boost hub wouldnít fit the 100mm qr fork. Iíll try to check it out Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting to see the frame will accept a 26" wheel. That's a good tip for lots of people out there! What brand/model fork did you go with?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome photo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Interesting to see the frame will accept a 26" wheel.
    It's a pretty good pointer at the geometry when it's running a 24" wheel.
    If that's good or bad ... different discussion but its hardly going to help getting/keeping the front wheel up.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    It's a pretty good pointer at the geometry when it's running a 24" wheel.
    If that's good or bad ... different discussion but its hardly going to help getting/keeping the front wheel up.
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are saying there.

I did measure the axle to crown of the forks and found the 26" carbon fork at 422mm and the 24" suspension fork at 439mm. That is with the suspension fork extended but the fork was too stiff for my daughters weight to even have any static sag. She would come back from a race and only have used about and inch of travel so it was pretty useless to have.

Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Awesome photo.
    Yes! Phil Beckman at pbcreativephoto.com takes amazing pictures! Very fortunate to have him capture these memories.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Interesting to see the frame will accept a 26" wheel. That's a good tip for lots of people out there! What brand/model fork did you go with?
    It a White Brothers fork, probably from the mid 2000's I'd guess. Got it from a guy who's kids raced back in the 26" days and he had the wheelset, fork, and another SID XX carbon fork that I've so far been unable to source parts for. Really good, lightweight stuff.

I was talking to another guy the other day about the 26" bike and he mentioned he also had an ultralight 26" wheelset he didn't need that he'd give to us. There's probably a lot of these parts still floating around, and it might take some effort to find but it would be worth it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are saying there.
    Just remarking if you can get a 26Ē wheel in the rear triangle then it must have a very long rear triangle for a 24.
    Itís going to be very hard for shorter kids to manual or keep the front wheel up off a dropoff

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    Great job! Seems obvious in hindsight with all these bikes that take 27.5+ and 29 wheels.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    . . . it must have a very long rear triangle for a 24.
    . . .
    It has been discussed here in the forum lately. 24" Plus bikes are sized like 26" "normal" bikes, and the upgrade presented here is the proof. That's not necessarily bad, but if your kid had a 20" bike which fits OK, a 24" plus will probably be too big for him/her.

Even without the "Plus" fashion, the jump between 20" and 24" bikes is very big.
    Last edited by oren_hershco; 2 Days Ago at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oren_hershco View Post
    It has been discussed here in the forum lately. 24" Plus bikes are sized like 26" "normal" bikes, and the upgrade presented here is the proof. That's not necessarily bad, but if your kid had a 20" bike which fits OK, a 24" plus will probably be too big for him/her.

Even without the "Plus" fashion, the jump between 20" and 24" bikes was very big.
    Agree*... and as I said good or bad is a whole other discussion...

I guess the point is they might drop standover etc but itís a really really long chain stay thatís going to take a really tall kid to get their weight behind the rear axle..

The rip rock has the same chainstay length as my medium adult 27.5 trail bike and almost as much as my XC hardtail or from the other end 30mm more than a trailcraft 24 or even more for an Orbea 24.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Got it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    MXIV424,

I think this is awesome. So much better than the pig of a plus bike was ever going to be.

Quite honestly Steve, from the pics it really doesnt look like the ass end on that bike is overly long. Definitely acceptable for a 26" wheel. You know I generally agree about chainstay length. From the looks, MX has transformed this bike from a trendy pig into a sharpened weapon.

MX, get her into some clipless. She'll drop you up the climbs! The pink looks bad ass, by the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    MXIV424,

I think this is awesome. So much better than the pig of a plus bike was ever going to be.
    It's not really better vs worse. (As I said originally, that's a whole separate discussion ... ) I am more remarking that it's a good pointer at the Geo and size of the kid.

Quite honestly Steve, from the pics it really doesnt look like the ass end on that bike is overly long. Definitely acceptable for a 26" wheel. You know I generally agree about chainstay length. From the looks, MX has transformed this bike from a trendy pig into a sharpened weapon.
    As I say ... it's not about either being better or worse but what at...
    The fat tyres probably give loads of downhill confidence and the 26ers plenty of rolling and climbing... neither are going to be really agile but that would come at the expense of something else.

My 27.5 trail bike is agile but that comes at the expense of downhill stability.... and a light front end when climbing.

Jnr's 24 full suss has some 2.5" tires as well as some 2.1's ... awesome grip and superstable in the air due to huge rotating mass .. and absolutely rubbish for pedalling anywhere...

I did try a 26" wheel in just for fun the other week (just off my DJ bike with a QR) but it won't fit...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Steve, it's an XC slayer now.

Look at the height of her seat. She fits the bike well. I personally don't think that she is having a hard time with agility or being over powered by the wheel size. The size difference between 24 plus and 26 is pretty negligible, and before we were all told that we had to swallow a load of marketing horseshit and ride plus everything, regular width carcass tires were just fine. She isn't rolling on cross tires either.

Look at the pic of her ripping around the berm....she isn't covering the brakes AT ALL. That isn't a sign of someone that is in need of more confidence in my experience.

Clearly this little lady doesnt need the confidence crutch that plus tires provide.

My opinion, is this is better. In every metric. Just my ioinion though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oren_hershco View Post

... the jump between 20" and 24" bikes is very big.
    This depends on the bike. My son had a Zaskar 20 for his first real MTB. Two bikes of the top of my head that have the same effective TT/Reach as his 20, but are 24" are the V-Pace 24 and the Trailcraft Pine ridge 24.

And his 20 fit him great for his age and size. V Paces whole M.O. is making 24" like a 29er concept. Bigger wheels.