mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Light weight 26" Disc wheels at Value Price?

My goal is to lighten up a size small Cannondale F5 I purchased for my son. The stock 26" disc wheels & tires are extremely heavy. Can anyone recommend an a lightweight 26" inexpensive disc wheelset under $400.00 or so and a light set of tires. He weighs under 100 lbs.

Thanks,
    Rob

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    My goal is to lighten up a size small Cannondale F5 I purchased for my son. The stock 26" disc wheels & tires are extremely heavy. Can anyone recommend an a lightweight 26" inexpensive disc wheelset under $400.00 or so and a light set of tires. He weighs under 100 lbs.

Thanks,
    Rob
    I look forward to following this. I am currently on the exact same bike and it's brutally slow/heavy. We are suspicious that the wheels are the main issue. I demo'd a Salsa El Mariachi 2 a little over a week ago and that thing screamed on uphills. I didn't even notice the hills. Then did 2 laps of the same loop on my F5 and felt like I was dying. Grated, the El Mariachi is a LOT more bike (and I have a 3 on order, already), but the difference in effort to make the F5 move is astounding. I tire out so fast on that bike and my skinny 11 year old is about to inherit mine. He really struggles with it. Standing out of the saddle to get up hills doesn't help much when he barely tips the scales at 70#s and can't really "put his weight into it."
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One idea for wheels.
    Stans 355 rims are on sale for $40 at the moment and are an excellent light rim.
    Then add some Wheelsmith DB spokes (2.0 - 1.7 - 2.0) for a buck each or even lighter DT Swiss Revolutions (2.0 - 1.5 - 2.0) for $1.50 each would be fine for a light weight kid.
    Use alloy nipples at $0.20 each for silver or you can buy colored ones to match the bike and add some um, street appeal, for a few $$ more.
    Get your LBS to build them up re-using the existing hubs and you have a light, strong, easy and cheap to maintain wheelset, for well under $400. Then run them with either light weight tubes or tubeless.

There are heaps of light 26" tires available. There's lots of threads in the Weight Weenies forum if you want to go down the rabbit hole.
    A few suggestions for light but reasonable durability would be:
    Kenda Small Block 8 26 x 2.1" @ 520g
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26 x 2.1" @ 510g
    Maxxis Aspen 26 x 2.1" @ 525g

mtbr member
    Pair XT disc hubs 15mm front - ZTR 355 Rims

According to posts on this forum. If you use the Mavic adapters you can run 15mm XT hubs as QR or use an adapter axle.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Pair XT disc hubs 15mm front - ZTR 355 Rims

According to posts on this forum. If you use the Mavic adapters you can run 15mm XT hubs as QR or use an adapter axle.
    I just bought this same wheelset from Merlin. No regrets. As far as adapters go I would go with the one on eBay made by mtbtools. The mavic adaptors with slightly increase the overall width.

mtbr member