mtbr member

Latest craigs find..13" Fisher Marlin

Picked this up today off craigs for my oldest (11) for $125. He is 5' and the 24" Hotrock is too small (build thread below) so it has been passed down to the 9 year old. The Fisher was in great shape (its an '06) but needed a few things to get carried on my the roof rack beside mine

I converted it to 1x10 with some old parts I had off my bike (Wolf Tooth 32t, 10-speed SRAM 11-36 cassette, KMC X10 chain, X7 shifter, new Jagwire cable/housing, and some Specy lock-on grips). I ordered a SRAM short-cage X7 rear derailleur on eBay tonight as the X9 I had is a long cage and just doesn't work great with the 1x set up...just left it on so he could ride it to try it out. I didn't get the Type-2 derailleur as it was more money and I don't think he will drop the chain...I don't use one on my bike with a Wolf Tooth and a short cage and I ride much more aggressively than he will and have only dropped mine twice in nearly a year. t cut down the steerer on the Manitou to get the stem down without having all the extra steerer hanging out as well. On the fork, it was just too heavily sprung for someone weighing 80 pounds so by luck, I had a spring out the Hotrock's Suntour fork (I removed it to soften that fork up) and it worked perfectly in the Manitou! It has an oil damper and should work well enough for him. I can always keep my eye out for an old SID on eBay...the Manitou sits high with its 100m travel (more than my 29er has ) so a shorter travel fork would be a nice upgrade. Finally, the pedals were hammered so I rebuilt those with fresh grease..they were metal so I wanted to try to salvage them. I think I did ok for $125 + $55 for a new rear derailleur...hell...this was cheaper then the Hotrock! I could easily convert these rims to tubeless but will pass on that for now...save that for when he is older and if he wants to get into this. It sits at 26.5 lbs as you see it...I bet I could lose 3 pounds from a fork swapout which may be motivation to do just that (it is HEAVY). Just need to add a cage and get a spare tube/lever/CO2 to strap under the back seat and we are riding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Latest craigs find..13" Fisher Marlin-20140125_214913.jpg  

Last edited by TiGeo; 01-26-2014 at 04:10 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Picked this up today off craigs for my oldest (11) for $125. He is 5' and the 24" Hotrock is too small (build thread below) so it has been passed down to the 9 year old. The Fisher was in great shape (its an '06) but needed a few things to get carried on my the roof rack beside mine
    Very nice find and build TiGeo. I've seen a few of these pop up over the years on craigslist, I think they were popular back in the day. My son will be 10 in June and approaching 5 feet pretty quick, I would like to keep him on the 24" for another season. I might as well start looking for a 13" 26er.

Do you mind measuring the stand over height from floor to where nose of saddle vertically would hit the top tube?

The way they welded the top tube to the seat tube looks like you would gain another inch of clearance, unless the seat stays are just welded on higher. It almost looks like a 12".

mtbr member
    It's 13" center to top of seat tube and 10" center to center of top tube...it's almost like a girl's bike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Last bit...put a short cage X7 rear derailleur on it. Just need an Awesome Strap to hold his things under the seat and we are ready to shred some singletrack. The fork needs some work..it's way over dampened and under sprung.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    It's 13" center to top of seat tube and 10" center to center of top tube...it's almost like a girl's bike.

Cool. Did you happen to check the stand over clearance? TIA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Cool. Did you happen to check the stand over clearance? TIA.
    ~25" from floor to top of top tube roughly where the nose of the seat would touch it if it was lowered all the way.

turtles make me hot
    Nice find. I was looking for exactly that for my son.
    I like turtles

Havok
    That looks awesome!

I just finished building a similar bike like this for my friends Son. We had a bit of an issue with the chain coming off the front ring on the trails. The chain ring bit him on the leg a few times from slippage.
    My friend finally decided on one of these, seems to have solved the problem.
    Name:  075_mrp091_blk_0.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  27.0 KB

mtbr member
    ^^^I am hoping he will have the same luck I have on my current bike; no clutch-type derailleur (short cage) with a Wolf Tooth ring and nearly no drops. If I need, I will run a chain guide.

mtbr member

Re: Latest craigs find..13" Fisher Marlin

Latest adds....my old Phenom seat and and a RS SID XC I picked up for $80 on ebay. 2.5 lbs lighter than the Manitou Axle Comp POS I pulled off. 24 and change pounds.