mtbr member
    Sep 2012

KTM 20" MTB Build 19.6lbs

Well at long last I finished the boys KTM 20" build (well OK the frame and fork is a Marin, but he doesn't care!). This started off as a pink bike, although paint striper quickly removed it.

It took so long as I was waiting for all the bits to come cheap on eBay!

I was keen to shred as much weight as possible and it tips the scales at 19.6lbs, which isn't bad. Could shred a little more with seat/brake change but I think that would be about the limit withoup spending silly money on forks, which frankly at the age of 5 aren't worth it.

The 9 speed setup is great, and he can shift just fine.

Biggest weight saving was through the wheels, as these were built using a very light 20" trials rim, which are really quite cool!

The 16" Hotrock is still getting hammered each day as his trick bike (Hotrock 16 Trials Build), but the new KTMarin is great on the trails.

Any questions, just shout!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KTM 20" MTB Build 19.6lbs-marin.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That's pretty light. Could you run down the parts list? Also, what rims did you use and how were they drilled? 28H on the rear it looks like?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rims - Monty 20" front rims for both front and rear 28h
    Bonz front hub, Primato road rear
    Ultralight tubes
    Alloy nipples
    Kenda SM8s 20x1.75
    Titanium skewers
    Truvativ 32mm stem
    X9 short cage
    X0 twist shift
    Easton carbon bar and seat post
    one23 front chainring
    SRAM PG990 cassette
    Clarks cables
    Sinz 135 cranks
    Sinz pro bottom bracket
    AEST light levers
    AEST seat clamp
    KTM Orange paint!

mtbr member
    Nice, I Love it..... something he will never forget

I'm doing kinda similar, I want my little girl to have a bike for pavement and a MT bike for the trails, so I ordered an Ibex Alpine 320kr and a Kona shred 20, going to swap out the forks between the bikes and lighten up the Kona as much as possible. Thinking xx everything and lots of carbon and on the kona, I still have to figure out the cranks. dont know what will fit the little frames....your solution is the best I have seen so far....
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598 View Post
    Nice, I Love it..... something he will never forget

I'm doing kinda similar, I want my little girl to have a bike for pavement and a MT bike for the trails, so I ordered an Ibex Alpine 320kr and a Kona shred 20, going to swap out the forks between the bikes and lighten up the Kona as much as possible. Thinking xx everything and lots of carbon and on the kona, I still have to figure out the cranks. dont know what will fit the little frames....your solution is the best I have seen so far....
    I would love to have ditched the pointless heavy fork, but it's tricky to find a light aluminimum one second hand. There are some 20" trials ones, but new they're just too expensive. Would drop it another 2lbs at least!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What was the weight by chance of the frame and fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    What was the weight by chance of the frame and fork?
    I'm afraid I don't know as I wasn't weighing individual components during the build.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by MIOM View Post
    Would drop it another 2lbs at least!
    Yup
    I've got a few years older Hidden Canyon with a rigid fork on it that is ~17lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Yup
    I've got a few years older Hidden Canyon with a rigid fork on it that is ~17lbs
    Got a picture of it? Be interested to see what it's like with a rigid fork.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Pics

Got a picture of it? Be interested to see what it's like with a rigid fork.
    Here's how it was originally built: 16lbs with flat bars and gripshift.

And here's a more recent shot: 17lbs with drops and Ultegra STI

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rims - Monty 20" front rims for both front and rear 28h
    Bonz front hub, Primato road rear
    Ultralight tubes
    Alloy nipples
    Kenda SM8s 20x1.75
    Titanium skewer
    one23 front chainring
    Sinz 135 cranks
    Sinz pro bottom bracket
    AEST light levers
    AEST seat clamp
    KTM Orange paint!
    nice! How do you like the 135 cranks? My kids have short legs, but I'm tempted to error on the longer side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vxc961 View Post
    nice! How do you like the 135 cranks? My kids have short legs, but I'm tempted to error on the longer side.
    Well he's coming off a Hotrock 16, the cranks on which are about 92mm?! So anything longer is welcome by him. It was a toss up between 135 or 140, as he's on the short side. I went with the 135 to give a little extra ground clearance. He's spinning top gear just fine on the flat, and with a 34t chainring and 34t rear cassette he has a really low gear if needed, although he spends most of his time in 4-7.

So, I'm pleased I went with the 135 cranks. In a year or so I can always bump up the front chainring as his develops if need be, as well as putting a longer stem on as he grows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How tough was it paint the frame? Son #3 has a thrashed steel hotrock I got for $30. Despite the bent axle, mish-mashed parts, and bent spokes, that bike just GLIDES... I'd love to dress it up a bit with a new paint job and decals if I could. Your KTM looks good in the pics--did it turn out well up close too? Did you rattle can it, or an actual gun?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vxc961 View Post
    How tough was it paint the frame? Son #3 has a thrashed steel hotrock I got for $30. Despite the bent axle, mish-mashed parts, and bent spokes, that bike just GLIDES... I'd love to dress it up a bit with a new paint job and decals if I could. Your KTM looks good in the pics--did it turn out well up close too? Did you rattle can it, or an actual gun?
    I was going to paint it as have previous experience, but when I priced up the paint, hardener and thinner (2 pack) it was cheaper to get one of the local paint shops to shoot it with KTM orange. Finish is as good as you will find on any shop bought bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's a close up of the rim, and why it's so light! Needs a clean as well......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KTM 20" MTB Build 19.6lbs-20-rim.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is that the tube sticking out the drilled sections? No rim tape? Couldn't that pop the tube easily?
    No fuss with the MUSS

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Is that the tube sticking out the drilled sections? No rim tape? Couldn't that pop the tube easily?
    Itís probably the rim liner. Common sight over in the Fatbikes sub-forums to see the rim liner poking out of the lightening holes on the rims.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Hi.

Yes, that's the rim tape you can see. I used a nice Contintental one to avoid any puncturing issues! Been good so far, no issues at all.