Rollin 29s

Kids Rock Hopper model?

Hi,
    I am planning to go look at a used 2007 kids RockHopperwith 26" wheels today, but I am not finding any indication on the web that Specialized had a kids Rock Hopper. The photo if the bike looks just like a Hotrock, with that narrow triangle frame, which has 24" wheels, but the seller claims it is a 26" wheeled Rock Hopper.

Can anyone verify that there was a kids Rock Hopper model, and any idea what the retail price was?

This is the bike:
    Kids Rock Hopper model?-image.jpg
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good place to research older bike models is bikepedia which shows there was a red rockhopper model offerred in 2007.
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper - BikePedia
    It was likely just the 13" (extra small) frame size, not necessarily kid specific. If you can get a better idea/match of the fork and components that are on it might bake a better model confirmation.

Rollin 29s
    Thanks, I saw that site, but the picture is a larger frame. Perhaps the small frame looks like the photo in the ad. The shock does appear to be a Dart 3 which is the proper shock for the Rock Hopper of that year. We are on the way now to see it, so I will keep that Bikepedia page handy!

He's asking $300 and new price was $540. Sound reasonable?
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Rollin 29s
    It's a decent bike, and definitely a Rock Hopper - just a small (13") frame. Got it for a scoch under $300, and my 8 year old will get several years out of it.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To put an 8-year old on that bike, I would start by changing to a really short stem to reduce the reach. Handlebars that angle backwards more can also help reduce the effective reach. You could also flip a stem to angle downward (instead of upwards) so the bars are not so high above level of the seat.
    If standover height is currently a consideration, since the frame and fork both have disk mounts you could swap in a disk 24" wheelset to use until kid has plenty of height.

Rollin 29s
    My 8-year old is as tall as many 10-year olds. He had no problem with the factory stem and the seat post is even extended about 4" from the clamp. The bike is Just a hair large for him, but really a perfect fit with the ability to adjust things, and he will be able to ride it for at least a few years before needing an upgrade. I have another bike with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and better wheels and tires, so will swap over some of the better parts.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    A kid having problems and it being a proper fit are 2 different things. I learned this the hard way but now got my 7yr old to tell me if something doesn't feel right. Need to make sure his ride position is correct and if seat it only 4" off clamp then all stem spacers need to be pulled to drop bars down, maybe stem flipped too. Also make sure though u think its ok he's not actually stretched too far.

And imo 300 for a bike that was 450 6years ago was a bit much. Hell a bike 2years old barely holds value like that. But all said nice find for a kids bike to grow with. The fact of the money ull save by not buying a new sized bike every other year will make it worth it.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    My 8-year old is as tall as many 10-year olds. He had no problem with the factory stem and the seat post is even extended about 4" from the clamp. The bike is Just a hair large for him, but really a perfect fit with the ability to adjust things, and he will be able to ride it for at least a few years before needing an upgrade. I have another bike with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and better wheels and tires, so will swap over some of the better parts.
    IMO, if the bike as shown in the picure is set up the same as it is when he rides it, the fit is a mess. At the very least, get rid of that faucet masquerading as a stem and put on something of reasonable length to give him a fighting chance at developing some decent handling skills.

FWIW, my kid is 9, 55", 26" inseam, handles a bike better than you or I do, and I wouldn't consider putting him on a 26" for at least a couple more seasons. Right now, 24" for MTB and 18" for BMX really lets him control the bike rather than being 'along for the ride', as is typical of kids (or anyone) on a bike that's too big for them.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Rollin 29s
    The seat post is higher by a few inches from the ad photo above. I'm also going to flip the stem over to lower it a bit - but his reach shouldn't extend from where it is (longer stem). The guy selling it had a longer stem but put the original back on it. The long stem would have had my son stretched out too far for comfort. He is coming off if a 24" wheel bike, and this one is proportioned to him similar to how my 29er fits me (I'm 6'4"). Based I how his handling of the bike has been so far, I know I made the right decision moving him up from 24" wheels.

Also, the Rock Hopper retailed for $540 in '07 and I paid $270 for this one. I think that was a decent deal.
    - Lord Charles Beresford