Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    Yea. I haven't found any good glasses for my girls. They've got gloves, but the only "sporty" glasses I've found are too dark, and they can't see well in the woods. Been told to look into shooting glasses.
    I REALLY love Optic Nerve's "photomatic" photochromics. I have a somewhat small face and they have a couple of these models that fit me well. My 11 year old son has been wearing a pair of their Eyeque photochromic glasses for a while. They start out with a really light tint and go really dark on bright days. They're ~$50 full-price, but I usually find coupons online and have ordered right from their online store. The lenses seem to scratch sort of easily, but for $50 I'm not too upset if I have to buy a new pair every year. They get a lot of use with all of the cycling and running I do.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350179296.425303.jpgKid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350179310.256815.jpg
    Couple of pics from a ride in Tucson today. Nice weather down here and the riding season is just getting started

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Kids just goofing off in front of the cabin learning to negotiate between dirt and pavement transitions. Daughter has a DB Octane 20" and son has a Trek Jett 16". I'm working on finishing restoring a Gary Fisher Cosmo 20" for my son which he will be learning to ride by this weekend.

We live in the mountains and have one of the worlds top premier freeride trails but it's not real condusive to kid riding so we have to pack up the truck and wheel out to find a length of trail that is somewhat flat comparibly and ride that spot for a while. When the kids get older and have a bunch of experience under their belts, (along with some full suspension bike's), they're going to really appreciate their backyard.

Oh & daughter wanted to show the bike she wants some day. Daddy's FSR.
    Might have a year or two before she steals her daddies bike

swag ho Administrator
    Captured a good one today. Every descent, climb and even hike was good.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-pa130021.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great pics everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great photos everyone, I hope I can get some good shots next summer and post them.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    Couple pics of child #1.
    Lincoln Bairds

Lincoln night

Lincoln BC

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well just got my son his first real MTB for his birthday/Christmas Present. Bday is Dec 24th lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-talonsbike.jpg  

2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My son after a good climb on the wintu trail. He loves to ride even though he has actually outgrown his 20" Diamondback. Ive been looking for a used scott scale jr 24. Anyone know where I can find one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-wintu.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Getting ready for the Day of the Tread ride this past weekend. We rode the 26 mile segment. Tons of fun, though pretty chilly at first. My 12 year old son rides an aluminum Felt with 650b wheels. A nice, tight, speedy ride. His school has a multi-sports program which has been great. He rides between 30 and 60 miles a week.

His other ride (an older Novara Arroyo - 90's?) A great CL buy @ $50!

And the whole family

mtbr member
    Getting ready to ride the Corral Loop in South Tahoe with the 3 year old for the first time. The 2 year old really wanted to come too, but her flintstone brakes wont cut it on that trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-girls-corral-loop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No pics of her on her bike, but here we are at our destination.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    He's 13 here in October 2012 on a bikepacking trip to Beef Basin. Been doing adventures with him since age 6.

2011 24hrs of Moab:

45 day tour of the Rockies in 2009:

Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 11-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Love this tread and can not wait for the time when I can post pictures of my son and his ride...my old riding buddies laugh at me because I do not ride hard and worry about dropping people on a ride...They do not get it...NONE of that compares to riding with your kids.

passed out in your garden
    Saturday at the pump track

new bike for him at xmas
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, Took the training wheels off my 5 y-o`s bike last week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just got this done last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-2012-11-29_07.39.55.jpg  

mtbr member
    Large Carbon Niner Air9 SS w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    On this ride my son Ty, my wife & myself started in the town of Penticton BC in Western Canada and climbed a huge mountain for 2 hours to reach the Rusty Muffler trail head which had us downhilling for one hour on awesome singletrack. Stopped at a bridge on Marmot trail for a snack.
    Not bicycle related but a cool shot of him on his KTM SX 65 from a cross-country race he was in that he won.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-img_1115.jpg  

Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-img_1123.jpg  

Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-img_0911.jpg  

Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-img_1177-l.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

"Daddy I love Indy Park it Rocks"

Brenen on Thanksgiving 2012 at Independence Park Marquette Heights Il
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-indy-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    First day of fatbiking for the 9 year old
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1355932373
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid's Mountain or Road Bike Ride Picture Thread-image.jpg  

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    First day of fatbiking for the 9 year old
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1355932373
    Few questions for you:

1) Is that a Mukluk? Cannot really tell from the mega-small framesize
    2) How tall is your kid?
    3) Is it safe to assume it is the XS (extra small) frame size?
    4) Stem length? 0° offset seatpost? Details? Etc.?

Recently built up a “mini half-semi-fat” bike for my son who just turned eight years old. Marin Bayview Trail 24" wheel bike. I built up a 24"x2.5" Surly Large Marge running a 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi for the front (running an Avid BB7 brake) with a Surly 1x1 fork (cantilever bosses chopped off). I’d thought about building up a size XS 9:zero:7 but the whole notion of “what if his passion for cycling dies out” came to mind so I figured I’d let him ride this bike into the ground first:
    IMG_0453
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Few questions for you:

1) Is that a Mukluk? Cannot really tell from the mega-small framesize
    2) How tall is your kid?
    3) Is it safe to assume it is the XS (extra small) frame size?
    4) Stem length? 0° offset seatpost? Details? Etc.?

Recently built up a “mini half-semi-fat” bike for my son who just turned eight years old. Marin Bayview Trail 24" wheel bike. I built up a 24"x2.5" Surly Large Marge running a 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi for the front (running an Avid BB7 brake) with a Surly 1x1 fork (cantilever bosses chopped off). I’d thought about building up a size XS 9:zero:7 but the whole notion of “what if his passion for cycling dies out” came to mind so I figured I’d let him ride this bike into the ground first:
    This is the demo bike from my lbs so it hasn't been fully customized yet. It currently has a really short 45° stem and too narrow bars.
    He is 4'6" with really long legs and the bike is an XS Mukluk.
    I believe that i will make the following changes to the bike when we own it:
    1 wider bars: The bike was set up with some kids bars and they are too narrow for my guy and we prefer backswept bars, I have a spare h bar or some on-one marys.
    2 lighter tires: 60 pounds of kid can ride the nates at 2psi, but I can save over a pound per tire going to the big hit pro 3" tires that I have been saving since 2002. I also have some snowcat rims, but i don't want to take away the feeling of rolling over everything.
    3 1x9: 60 pounds of kid cannot push the big gears, so there is weight to be saved by losing a big ring and derailleur.
    4 shifters: the sram triggers are hard to work with mittens on. I have a Sram grip shifter, or i may get creative.
    5 shorter cranks: I am not sure how, the current BB is isis and I don't know of any kids isis cranks. I may just break down and get a square taper BB or shorten the stock cranks. Ideas?
    He can climb better and ride as fast on the fattie as he could on the stock Marrin Bayview and he rolls over obstacles much better. He is built for distance, so he was in no danger of wheelies any time soon and the bigger wheels help compensate for that. I thought about modding the Marrin like yours, but i was going to need to buy a bunch of stuff that I didn't have in my parts bin. Also, i ride on snow a lot more than i ride on dirt and we ride a lot of rail trails that have loose surfaces and big gravel.

If I knew how, i would break this out on a separate thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    5 shorter cranks: I am not sure how, the current BB is isis and I don't know of any kids isis cranks. I may just break down and get a square taper BB or shorten the stock cranks. Ideas?
    Sinz has isis cranks from 155mm-180mm lengths w/ BCD 110mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Sinz has isis cranks from 155mm-180mm lengths w/ BCD 110mm.
    I think 110 bcd limits me to 32 or 33 teeth, he probably needs more like 22 or 23 teeth to get any kind of hill climbing. I am seriously considering Profile Racing cranks even though they cost a fortune. I may also see how he copes with the long cranks.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast