mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Kids bike tires, how often do you replace?

Something I was thinking about while looking at kids bikes: how quickly do the tires on your kids' bikes tend to wear or get damaged?

Just based on simple geometry it seems like since a 14" or 16" would make 2x the rotations to travel the same distance as a 29er the tires would only last half as long.

Similarly, in case they run into anything, a much higher percentage of the profile of the bike is going to be sidewall on a smaller wheel, so it would seem more likely that scraping up against something could lead to cuts or tears.

Anecdotally, the tires I see on kids bikes over at the local thrift stores usually look in pretty poor condition, but that may have as much to do with the quality of the rubber on cheaper bikes as it does with how hard they've been ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Depends on the tire. We used to replace my kids small block 8 tires all the time as they turned to slicks quick. Now that we are on Spawn Brood Maxtion tires, they are WAAAAY more durable despite getting ridden a lot more and a LOT harder. I don't recall the time lines exactly tho. Fwiw the Maxtion are also twice as expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm looking at Spawn's Loam Star tires - figuring that if it's flat rate shipping to order a bike, I might as well pick up some extra tires now if I'm going to need them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a Spawn Banshee with the loam star tires which has been used for about a year for my older kid and was recently passed to my second kid for about 3 months. It has maybe a hundred trail miles, if that, but probably 300+ hours extra of just riding around our little loop in the yard with a jump ramp and skinnies, etc, and at our local skills park. The tire knobs are not even halfway worn off. I am expecting to maybe need new tires for next season. I have not had a single flat on those tires, and I do keep them inflated pretty low, although I can't tell you an exact psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    I'm looking at Spawn's Loam Star tires - figuring that if it's flat rate shipping to order a bike, I might as well pick up some extra tires now if I'm going to need them.
    I like those tires a lot too. We have then on a Yoji 16, though it's my 3yo bike so no real serious miles on them yet. Are you also getting a Spawn bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yoji 14 is what we're looking at. 3yo here as well, with a 1yo that he'll pass it into in another year or two (at which point I'll be probably be looking at a 16").

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that kids tires normally use much harder compounds then high end adult tires. Also, the force of friction is much less since they way much less so at least on trails they seem to last forver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have only had to replace a 16" rear tire on a hotrock that went through 3 kids with a coaster brake, aka kids learn to skid that thing fast!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    my son is a lot like me at that age. he will outgrow the front tire, but the year gets replaced 2x per summer. skid marks are just too cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I replace them when they are worn. If they are getting worn out quicker than usual, that's a good thing too in my book.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ultimately decided to order an extra set of loam stars along with the Yoji.. if we need them then they'll be ready and if we don't, that can be a selling feature when the kids grow out of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just replaced some rocket ron's after 2yrs....
    They were still working fine but a friend was ordering new tires from a cheap place without free delivery so we doubled up the order.

They were still holding air tubeless and still had some tread even though noticeably worn but I figured I'd replace them before one of them went completely in a race.