mtbr member
    Jul 2007

kid trailer to cargo conversion

Has anyone taken a kid trailer and converted it to a cargo? Our old Burley has finally shed its skin. But the aluminum frame is in great shape. I am thinking of making a bottom out of aluminum and cutting it into place and contouring it to the shape to strengthen it and then adding some low walls on the sides and mid level ones for the front and back. I wish to pull a portable grill, ice chest, folding table and other various odds and ends while the wife hauls 1 child and a newer trailer. The other three kids will ride their own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    Has anyone taken a kid trailer and converted it to a cargo? .
    I converted a cheapo Motobecane trailer using 1/4" plywood coated in an outdoor rated varnish from Sikens.

The trailer used little plastic washers to mount the upper frame and I reused them to put a space between the plywood and frame to mimimize places for water to get trapped.

If I were to do it again, I'd put a small lip around the deck to keep things in place better and put some holes in the deck for more tie down locations. But for what it is, it works fine with bungees... mostly camp ground duty for fire wood and grocery runs where I bungee down a plastic tote box.

kid trailer to cargo conversion-fortwilkins.jpg
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Yes we did this for years.. I don't have pic but I just used an old two seat kid trailer to haul all my junk. There was little conversion just take out the child seats and load her up.. I would pull that trailer and my wife would pull another with our two daughters in it. I could fit a lot in that trailer.. Full size cooler, coleman stove, 6man tent etc..