Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Could i lace it with 24 spokes? It is for disc brakes.

I tried to make a visual picture of my thoughts.

Name:  slide2.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  54.7 KB

Pink is one side and yellow the other. It looks good but I haven't built so many wheels so I am far from an expert I have no idea how to calculate the spoke length either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The pattern you show has four rim holes occupied, then 2 empty holes. I think this is essentially a standard 3X pattern with 1/3 of the crossed pairs removed.
    I think it would work better to have a wider separation between the same-side crossed spoke pairs so that at the rim you have 2 occupied holes, followed by 1 empty hole (repeating). This would be easier to true if you don't have such large, uneven gaps.
    I am not sure on the spoke lengths, it might need a calculation of a fractional cross number, 36-24 Spoking, by Damon Rinard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont think it would work with 2 occupied 1 empty since the rim has offset holes. Maybe I should go for 12 spokes then? I looked at the rim earlier today and the distance between the spoke holes is very small. If it is laced with 12 spokes, the distance between the spokes would be 132mm if they were evenly placed.

The rim is 507x25 double wall, 415gr. So it should be a pretty sturdy rim for a 25kg kid even with 12 spokes.

If laced with 12 spokes evenly spaced, would the spoke length be the same as with 36 spoke 3 cross?

Thanks GrayJay for your support and knowledge

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Guys, I have a question: my kids' bikes have 36h and 32h wheels. Can I just remove half of the spokes? I would do the two spokes, two empty holes, two spokes....

The wheels are already built. Is it as simple as just removing half of the spokes?

These are 20" wheels for a six year old and a four year old. Scott Spark Jr 20 and Hot Rock Pro 20.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Fisher View Post
    Guys, I have a question: my kids' bikes have 36h and 32h wheels. Can I just remove half of the spokes? I would do the two spokes, two empty holes, two spokes....
    No, see prior explanation back in post #47 of this thread...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12