mtbr member

Kid on a cargo:)

Hey all!
    I have 2 boys, ages 12 & 5. I have always been a biker and when my youngest was first born, I had a Burley trailer that he rode in and we used that way past when he should have outgrown it. He is autistic and afraid of bodily injury, so if I didn't haul him...there was no bike riding.

Well, we had kid #2 about this time and since kid #1 wouldn't try(not even a trail a bike) and ride a bike and kid #2 needed a trailer(but hated it when we tried), we cut our losses and sold the bikes and trailers. But I am a biker by heart.....

So fast forward a few years and through therapy and time, the 12 yo learned to ride a bike last summer(yay!) and the youngest rode a trail a bike but I wasn't crazy about the way it felt on my bike and the hooking & unhooking depending on if I rode alone or not. So a search for a cargo bike ensued.....
    Kid on a cargo:)-image.jpg

First ride together was yesterday after our Monday morning cargo bike CL purchase and a few kid friendly alterations(foot pegs, seat cushion, stoker bars). Yay! Happy days! So until he learns to ride alone, I have a buddy!

turtles make me hot
    Very cool. I'd devise some sort of wheel skirt to keep his feet from accidentally getting into the rear wheel.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip, should be pretty easy fix as there are 2 locations in that part of the frame that have braze ons.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  78.1 KB

That grey thing you see is the end of his footpegs and those are attached to the rim brake bosses. So I was thinking the braze on you see just above and rear of the peg and then on the yoke just before the loader frame swing arm starts.

EDIT: done and done. I used some scrap plastic floor matting and cut flaps with holes for his footpegs to stick though and fastened them with the braze ons. Appreciate the tip instead of finding out the hard way....yowch!
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 05-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Your username really makes me smile here!

Glad you can get out with the kiddos now.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome! I feel your pain with the trail-a-bike! I loved our cougar trailer, but it ripped one time when I folded it up and I said to myself "there goes $100 off the resale", also it juuuuuuuust fits in the guide poles on local bike trail system. I love the idea of the cargo bike--that's awesome!