mtbr member
    Aug 2012

KHS Raptor Build

Since I'm down with the flu and not able to ride, it seems like a good time to start this thread...

Late this summer, I got my 6 year old daughter this mountain bike. I pretty much bought it sight unseen but had my Dad look at it for me. It needed a tune up badly but other than that, a solid bike. I could tell when she sat on it the first time that it needed major modifications, the cockpit was way too big and she was far too stretched out. I was a little worried that the TT was just too long but also knew that she wouldn't really be riding it until next year. This is what it looked like before I really started changing things...

Since the terrain and our trails are very hilly, the first thing I needed to do was change the gearing. So from a 6-speed, went a 7-speed shimano mega range. She wasn't able to physically shift the gripshifter and we changed that to triggers, much easier for her. At 140mm, the cranks were much too long for her legs. Changed that to 120mm Sinz cranks. The original chainring was a 40T and the smallest we could go was 34T. These changes made a major improvement and the next time we went out, she did an amazing 6 miles and was asking for more!

I was so excited about this that I ordered up handlebars, stem, brakes, levers, and cables. A stroke of luck happend. Someone had come in and wanted to change their kid's rigid fork for a suspension fork. They didn't want the old rigid and my LBS guy called me up immediately wanting to know if I wanted it. Heck yes! So I got it for a steal at $25! Dropped 3+ lbs of weight! I think she really noticed the lighter front end on our next ride because she was going so much faster and going through the rock gardens like they were nothing! We still have some work to do but I'm pleased with the progress thus far.

Last edited by JonnyScotti; 11-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Guess I'll post a pic of she and I together. Mom-daughter time, I love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Very cool!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Your daughter reminds me of mine who also shares the same favorite color, purple, right? Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hahaha! How could you tell? She loves pink too though. Anything girly, really. The bike won't stay looking like you see it in these pics, BTW. At some point this winter it will be painted. Her first choice was pink but since her younger brother will eventually inherit the bike, we can't do that. So I sat her down with gender neutral Crayons and we colored for a while. She picked a very nice bluish-green. She also picked yellow as the accent color, which is why the brake cables are now yellow. It's going to be very cool looking, imo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great job on the bike. Get some lighter tyres like the Schwalbe Moe Joes if you get a chance. They'll make a big difference. They're expensive but so far the one set has out lasted one of my daughters and is now being used by her younger sister. I set them up ghetto tubeless and have never had a flat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yep, already have those picked out. Going 2.0 front, 1.8 rear. I'd had them already but the hubby says I have to wait because yes, they are spendy. Good to know that they're lasting for you. Have to admit I was a little worried about their longevity. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Take care of yourself with that rotten flu and get well soon!

No fun at all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks. Flu all gone, itching to ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Things have slowed down with winter setting in and the holidays...

Changed the nipples from brass to alloy. Saved 52g (26g per wheel) of outside rotational weight. Also mocked up the rear tire. Original tire weighs 686g, and the Schwalbe Mow Joe 1.85 weighs 301g! Not bad, not bad at all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good job!

Very nice weight savings. As you mentioned - if there's any place you want to save weight its on the outside of your wheels - good stuff.

Wēk Sôs
    Nice! Looking really good! Nice find on the rigid fork! I'd love to pick one up myself, but not looking so good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That picture of your daughter going downhill reminds me of my little girl! She looks like she killing it. Awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you everyone. All that's left to do is pedals and tear it down for paint. Probably happen after the holidays. No rush as it's really just too cold now for her to ride comfortably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyScotti View Post
    Thank you everyone. All that's left to do is pedals and tear it down for paint. Probably happen after the holidays. No rush as it's really just too cold now for her to ride comfortably.
    You could let her go crazy with this stuff.
    Printed Duck TapeŽ - Tie Dye, Zebra, Camo, Flames and More

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    KHS Raptor Build-011.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Picked it up from the painter this evening! So excited to put it back together!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

It's done!

KHS Raptor Build-008.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's great. Fantastic job.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    that's a nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    KHS Raptor Build-005.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    that's a nice looking bike!
    Thanks GMF and Tigworld! It was my first build and I enjoyed it alot. She's enjoying riding it and she looks great!

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyScotti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	780483

Thanks GMF and Tigworld! It was my first build and I enjoyed it alot. She's enjoying riding it and she looks great!
    i can't get over how cool that lil' bike looks!
    -always thinking about the next ride-