mtbr member

Just picked up a Hotrock 20 for my boy, HEAVY!

Picked it up in great shape for $50 from a local bike club guy. Its red with flames, I'm thinking its around a 2006-2008 model maybe. Couldn't believe how heavy that thing is. Rigid fork with BMX style bars and rear rim brake.

I'm going to get into it this week but I have a new Ritchey comp low rise bar I may cut down to use as I'm sure the BMX bars are a real anchor.

I'm going to remove the seat/post and see how heavy that stuff is but I'm open to replacing them as well if anyone has recommendations.

The tires are a little overkill for street riding and occasional trail rides so I may get some lighter, lower rolling resistance rubber as well.

Will post pics and weight when I'm done.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I just got my son a 16", well put a deposit on one last week. I didn't notice it was all that heavy. I actually think once the training wheels are removed that it's gonna be a pretty light setup for him. But for $50 I think you scored extremely well. I couldn't find any used ones In my area at all. Ended up paying $200 for a new 2012.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

eBiker
    The HotRocks are usually the more lighter of the kids bikes (non- geared versions) as they have aluminum frames and aluminum rims - crazy how that is unusual... Perhaps in older years they are move heavy?

Small Block 8s are light and good at street and trail. But if it's a daily rider, I would stick with a more low end tire, as the kids don't have it in them to check air pressures (= pinchflats) - the SB8's light sidewall will be pressure sensitive, while the more basic tires can run fine at almost no pressure.

P

turtles make me hot
    When my son was on a 20" bike, I got him a Gary Fisher Precaliber... Once I got the bike, I realized it was heavy and not geared correctly to ride off road.
    I laced 20" Velocity Aeroheats to older XT hubs, replaced the crankset with a Sinz crankset, light handlebars, stem and seatpost and upgraded to a SLIGHTLY lighter fork that actually had some travel.
    He rode that bike for almost three years until he outgrew it.
    The exact same upgrades would work on the Hot Rock.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Was thinking of ways to tweak my daughter's Redline mini into a 1x7...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mvwmvw View Post
    Was thinking of ways to tweak my daughter's Redline mini into a 1x7...
    Sinz crankset, Salsa chainring and ring guard on the outside and an N Gear jumpstop on the seat tube. Works like a charm.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like a great idea. Gotta find a 130 20" rear wheel. Are people using recumbent stuff?