Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks! Ya, I have the same feeling the shop is pushing for a quick sales. The reach she is not quite there yet as she has to lean forward a bit but we didn't move the saddle forward also. She has to tippy toes when on the saddle but she has adequate stand over height as Trek Skye was specifically designed for woman.

We're going back to the shop this weekend to place an order for 24" as I think it will suits her more. I guessed we all can't save on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    My opinion? The shop pushing 26" is trying to sell what they have instead of properly fitting her on a bike.

Good rule of thumb is adequate stand over height and reach. Can she get over the bike with both feet flat on the floor? No tippie toes, with room to spare under her crotch.

If you want to make a bike work for 18 months to 2 years, sure it can work and eventually she will grow into 26" by age 11 or so. Bust basically it's like you at 5' on an XL size bike.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The Creig is a nice bike, but I think you could end up with a better bike for the same price or less if you start with a Cannondale Race 24. It's my plan for my daughters.

$500 gets you a good start with an air fork. If you shop around you can good deals. I have novatec hubs on the way that I'll lace to the stick rims, BB7s for brake. XTR RD, Carbon bars etc..
    Agree. I'm in a time crunch - her old bike already sold and her bday in a wk - so I might go for the ride-ready bike, at least this time. Thanks for the ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine MTB Mike View Post
    Agree. I'm in a time crunch - her old bike already sold and her bday in a wk - so I might go for the ride-ready bike, at least this time. Thanks for the ideas.
    The Race is ride ready. It's a good bike as is, the other stuff can be done as budget/time allows.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The Race is ride ready. It's a good bike as is, the other stuff can be done as budget/time allows.
    How does the Race compare to the Street? Are they comparable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bleumax View Post
    To me the street doesn't come close to the race. The price difference is only $30, but the race has an air fork- to me and my kids that is worlds more important on single track than the cheap tektro discs and left fork..

The race frame has disc tabs and the stock rims are decent, so relace to Novatec hubs and some used BB7s or 5 and it's disc with an air fork less than the other choices out there.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bleumax View Post
    I had the Street ordered until I read about the crappy Tektro Novela disc brakes. From what I've read, people have actually had failures with them. Here's a video and comments from several people following saying theirs failed as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZVHvzd8AE

There are some more mentions of it other places on the net as well if you Google. Freaked me out enough to cancel the order as I didn't want to buy and have to upgrade the brakes before we used it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    To me the street doesn't come close to the race. The price difference is only $30, but the race has an air fork- to me and my kids that is worlds more important on single track than the cheap tektro discs and left fork..

The race frame has disc tabs and the stock rims are decent, so relace to Novatec hubs and some used BB7s or 5 and it's disc with an air fork less than the other choices out there.
    Thanks, that's helpful.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thought about the Beinn 24 instead of the Creig.

No sus fork, which is not a bad thing, and has Vs, is a lot lighter and cheaper. Gearing is taller.

Would put a fatter tire up front.

My kids do fine on rigid forks now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2