mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Jump/street trials bike for a 10 yr old

My 10yr old son is after a dual purpose street/trials/jump bike for mucking about on, and I'm not sure where to start.

He currently has a really good 26" wheel MTB (a 14" frame), and loves riding that. But he wants something for trials in the garden, hitting a few jumps in the woods, going to the park etc. He isn't bothered by names/makes on this one as he is quite prepared to slap a load of stickers on it. Battered is good, and he doesn't want to worry about something expensive and wrecking it!

He already has a BMX but is planning to pass that onto his sister as he hasn't really taken to it.

I was thinking of picking up a cheap frame off eBay, along with some parts, and raiding the spares bin in the shed. But I'm stuck on size, and in particular wheel size. If I go with 26" wheels then the bike isn't that much different from his current MTB. I have been looking at 24" wheels, but it seems for jump bikes the smaller wheel doesn't mean a smaller bike, as the frames are long (long TT). I guess because they are designed for adults, even with 24" wheels.

Any suggestions on what to go for? I guess I'm looking for a youth geometry 24" wheel jump bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here are few...

Spawn cycles - Kotori -24"
    Kotori ? 24" - Born to Ride | The World's Best Kids Bikes!

Black Market Bikes - lil monster 24" (xs frame)
    http://blackmarketbikes.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=7

Scott Bikes - Scott Voltage YZ 0.3 24 bike
    SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Voltage YZ 0.3 24 Bike

Dartmoor - Gamer 24
    Gamer 24 | D A R T M O O R

Norco - Ryde 24 (not sure if youth or not)
    Ryde 24 - Steel - Dirt/Street - Bikes - Norco Bicycles

mtbr member
    there are a lot of 26" dirt jump bike frames out there with a 20" top tube (small) and that with 24" wheels would make a good bike for what he wants it for and as he grows you could put 26" wheels on it probably last till 13 or 14 years old.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the problem with going with a 26" DJ frame and running 24" is the chainstay becomes to long.

If the boy cannot jump or doesn't have good skills on his bmx yet, I won't get mtb DJ. It is better to invest in a bmx park/dirt jumper. IMO, the curve will be faster in building up the skills and confidence in learning on how to jump or learn new tricks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    the problem with going with a 26" DJ frame and running 24" is the chainstay becomes to long.

If the boy cannot jump or doesn't have good skills on his bmx yet, I won't get mtb DJ. It is better to invest in a bmx park/dirt jumper. IMO, the curve will be faster in building up the skills and confidence in learning on how to jump or learn new tricks.
    He has great skills on his MTB (and road and track bikes), but isn't a great jumper, though he can jump a little. Mainly he just isn't keen on his BMX any more (says the gear is too high and its too heavy).

Part of the request from him is about not liking the BMX. But mainly its a fashion thing I think! He did start saving his pocket money for an Onza trials bike but then though a street trials/DJ bike would be more practical, as he could use it for riding to the park, mucking about with his mates.