mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Juliana for a 9 year old??? Talk me down ;-)

Hi

My daughter is turning 9 next month and she's a hard worker who is excelling in everything she's doing, loves to ride her bike and Dad's very proud and want's to reward her with a nice bike. Due to the fact she's the oldest of three and a Mom who doesn't trust the world most of it is in coldesac or around town and trips to Mammoth. We've been traveling around visiting all the LBSs multiple times and trying everything on hand and she's blowing everyone away with her capabilities. She's flying around on everything even medium sized hardtails and Safire's that she can barely touch her toes with and riding in and out of stores in control. She roles through the gears, attempting to pop wheelies and is giving feedback on them.

Sizing wise I've figured that out. My main goal is I'd like to get her something that I can then share the experience of planning ahead for upgrades and maintenance and servicing it. I'd like her to be motivated to save for something else besides Justin Beiber memorabilia (not yet; but trying to avoid it) or put on her christmas list. Real tangible rewards that she uses regularly for her savings or hard work is what I'm thinking. Along with something else to do together including the tough stuff of teaching her about vehicle maintenance.

I'm assuming we'll start taking the Gondola in Mammoth this year and doing easy trails down. My concern is a disk equipped Myka isn't that far off from the bottom line used Juliana (she doesn't mind used). So my real concern as she grows in size; safety wise and her capabilities will have outgrown the capabilities of the HT for the Mammoth trails (I'm hoping so at least) and we'll need to get her a FS anyways. Of course I'm hoping we'll start local trail riding but with the youngsters it's kind of tough right now but that's irrelevant.

So Dad's & Mom's any and all your thoughts appreciated :-)

SMKNTRLS

turtles make me hot
    Why not? If she's the oldest, two other kids will also get use out of this bike when she outgrows it, correct?
    If she's into riding and you feel she'll excel on a superior bike... Why not?

I build wheels by hand for my 8 year old. His next bike, a 26er hardtail is going to be awesome.
    I like turtles

Wēk Ss
    Sounds fine, as long as it fits. I'm more concerned about fit and weight than anything else, for kids. Barely touching toes to the floor would be a problem. It's not so much about standover, but it's more of an indication of reach, which will show in some form of discomfort while riding longer distances, from being too stretched out.

The XS Julianna might fit, every now and then you come across one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you very much NYrr496 & IAmHolland for your replies.

Yes, there's another daughter then son that would take up the reigns of this bike if it were to become outgrown so this could be used for ten years+.

The touching tows was on a M Saffire Comp (& Trek/Cannondale M HTs) which is going to be quite a few years out and by then we'll be looking at used Turner's ;-) I'll definitely pay close attention to the reach. Thanks for the heads up.

The biggest concern now is theft. That will be my next search after getting the bike.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend rides!

SMKNTRLS

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKNTRLS View Post
    Thank you very much NYrr496 & IAmHolland for your replies.

Yes, there's another daughter then son that would take up the reigns of this bike if it were to become outgrown so this could be used for ten years+.

The touching tows was on a M Saffire Comp (& Trek/Cannondale M HTs) which is going to be quite a few years out and by then we'll be looking at used Turner's ;-) I'll definitely pay close attention to the reach. Thanks for the heads up.

The biggest concern now is theft. That will be my next search after getting the bike.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend rides!

SMKNTRLS

Smkntrls
    I built an XS Julianna for my son (We call it an XS Ultralight... I peeled off stickers before he saw). Got the frame used and it's far from the newest version, but it's been completely awesome.

Juliana for a 9 year old??? Talk me down ;-)-nate-revielle-peak-ranch.jpg
    Last edited by Asmodeus2112; 02-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Asmodeus2112 thanks for sharing

I worked overtime on my second oldest daughter this weekend and within a week transformed her from completely scared of going anywhere (braking every two feet) do to a short downhill accident last year to now riding daily and today without her training wheels and loving it. So stoked and proud

Hoping to snag something she'll/they'll both love.

Theyr've having a great time shopping as I hoped. Funny my nephew has a GF 20" that matches my '01 Sugar 3 paint job who my Sis will give me for my 18 month old. But before I knew it was available I took the kids to the LBS and now he likes Orange. Do I force him to match me now is the question or repaint the Spec 20" we have to orange? Funny thing is I may upgrade my wife to a bike that's painted similarly to our oldest current model too. How weird? Problems, problems

All the best everyone,

SMKNTRLS