mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Joy of no training wheels

My girlfriend has 2 girls that over the last couple of years we have been helping them learn to ride with no training wheels. The 7 year old is now a seasoned veteran after almost 2 years of no helper wheels. We just took the extra hardware off the 5 year olds bike. I even took my '41 Schwinn out to try and teach her the ins and outs of the coaster brake. Both the girls were cracking up as I lay down a 20 foot skid mark as my girlfriend just rolls her eyes trying to figure out what age I am acting.
    Well we just got done with about 25 trips around the block and it just puts a smile on my face that I have a hand in getting the girls the freedom of 2 wheels. Sometimes the little things are the biggest memories.

mtbr member
    Great to hear... I am in the process of getting my 4 year old off of his training wheels. I can't wait to have him next to me on the trails. Nice one on the skid mark as well, I miss doing that.
    2012 Giant Talon
    2014 9:zero:7
    2011 Subrosa Street

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I remember the day my son learned how to ride....it was a few weeks after halloween, and he put on his Superman costume, asked me to take of the training wheels (insisting that he did not need them). He got on, and took off, no problem. I stood there with my jaw dropped for a minute before I realized "he doesnt know how to stop" where I took off running after him before he fell.