mtbr member
    May 2013

Islabikes / Opus / Orbea

Hello,

I have been scouring this mtbr forum for awhile now collecting information for my 7 yr old son's new bike and have decided to make my first post. In doing so, I have accumulated a list of options of various bikes from Cannondale, Specialized Hotrock, Fuji, Giant, GT, Jamis, Kona, Marin, and Scott.

But, there are three brands I have seen snippets on but not much detail with experience from the community. Does anyone have experience with Islabikes, Opus or Orbea for their kids in the 20 - 24" range?

The brands intrigue me and would like some feedback.

I am interested in getting into upgrading my other kids' bikes (and my own) and would like to get my son into it with me and us both learn together. But, these 3 brands seem more geared to younger kids and gives me the opportunity to focus on our other bikes while my son gets a new lighter bike with good components.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    This may help:
    Orbea MX 24 team
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you. That is actually the thread where I first learned about the Orbea MX.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    This may help:
    Orbea MX 24 team

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi, We live in Germany and my daughter (5) is on her third Islabike (14", 16" and now 20" small). The bikes were shipped from the UK. We were (and still are) very happy with the quality of the bikes, the service and the delivery. I do like their approach to shy away from suspension and multiple chainrings. I am sure that our next kids bike will be a 24" Isla bikes, probably a Creig. AfaIk, they only set up an importer in Portland recently - before that, importing from the uk was super expensive, due to shipping and customs. One thing I noticed abouttheir US operations: The really small bikes are going to have coaster brakes, due to some stange US regulations - the pics they have on their homepage show them with v brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2013 Islabikes

Good article about the 2013 Islabike range here. They're more expensive than other brands, but 2nd hand Islabikes get snapped up instantly and hold their value so well you may as well just buy new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have been into bikes for quite some time so when i bought an isla rothan balance bike for my sons second birthday i was quite happy,have to admit though after a year and looking at other balance bikes and comparing them to isla i won't be buying isla again as they seem over priced compared to the bigger brands out there,the drop outs on the forks and rear stays are squashed rather than dedicated drop outs and the details and quality are pretty poor compared to other brands,i won't buy usa branded bikes due to the coaster brakes so i am now looking at ridgeback bikes which is another uk company Ridgeback

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. I have thought some of these are overpriced myself. Unfortunately I do not have a huge selection locally to fully check out. My options look to be the Hotrock, Trek, Performance, GT and Diamondback.

I am hesitant in ordering an Isla, Opus, etc without benign able to size my son on it. Unfortunately it leaves me with likely going with a Hotrock, which by all the threads on here sounds like it is not a bad choice.

Thanks for all the replies!