Thread: IBEX Alpine 440

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

IBEX Alpine 440

Looking to get my 9yr old into MTBing. This bike always stood out to me as a top notch mtb for kids. Can anyone suggest others should look at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There are a few threads out there & you have a few options depending on how big your kids is & tire size. 20" v 24"

Trek 220
    Giant MTX
    Jamis X.20/X.24
    Performance Holeshot
    Novara/REI
    Raliegh Mountain Scout
    KHS TRex
    Marin Bayview or Hidden Canyon
    Specialized Hotrock
    GT Aggressor or Zaskar (higher end)
    Scott Scale

There's quite a bit to choose from. I bought my 8yo a 20" Holeshot in Oct, he outgrew it. We've been riding most weekends since. I found a KHS 24" @ a used shop locally. I don't think he could've went straight from his 20 BMX bike to the 24" without getting oriented to the trails & gears etc. I'll probably save up to get him a nice 26er in the summer. Not sure what though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    good info. He is growing but I think he can get a few years out of a 24. He turns 9 in April. He won't be ready for a 26" for a while yet. I'm thinking a 24 for sure. EH, it's like anything I guess when kids grow. He plays Ice hockey and outgrows skates every season. Hopefully he can get at least 2 yrs out of this purchase.

Ill look at some of the above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If he's going to get a few years out of a 24" I would look for one of the higher end 24's.
    Scott Spark RC 24 - if you can find one.
    Scott Scale RC 24
    Opus Fever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnj View Post
    Looking to get my 9yr old into MTBing. This bike always stood out to me as a top notch mtb for kids. Can anyone suggest others should look at?
    I spoke to the guys at IBEX in the fall and for 2012 they were trying to find a way to add an air fork to the bike without increasing the cost.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    In addition to what's posted above:

The Kona Hula 24" is a very nice bike...about $450, though. It has a Spinner fork. They make a couple models that are higher end as well.

Felt Q24
    KHS Alite

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by capcityrdrz View Post
    There are a few threads out there & you have a few options depending on how big your kids is & tire size. 20" v 24"

GT Aggressor or Zaskar (higher end)
    Does anyone know anything about the Zaskar 24? It looks like a nice bike, it's a cut above the Scale 24 Jr, the other bike I've looked at is the Orbea MX 24 Team, slightly cheaper but no shock or disc brakes.