mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Hydration Pack Recommendation

I am trying to find a hydration pack for my 8 year old to use while out and about with me this summer, but outside of the Camelbak ones for kids, am not finding a whole lot else. While I am fine with the Camelbak, they are pretty expensive. I can find some other brands, but I think 100oz (and possibly 70oz) packs are going to just be too much extra weight for him to haul around.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hydration packs are great for kids but you have to keep the water amount small. Keep the volume to 35-50 oz. More than that adds a bunch of weight that their bodies aren't used to. I've been using them with my girls since 4 years old. Hiking, beach, field trips etc. I don't know of many companies offering kids options though. I use some older Cbak styles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    But considering the fact that hydration packs are worth their weight in gold I'd go for one for sure. Wouldn't be without mine. Like was said you don't have to fill it full but it is such a convenient way to ride and guzzle. My camelback has been going for going on 5 years now.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My 4 year old uses a Camelbak model that is tiny and for kids, not sure of the name but his has flames on it. I think we fill it with 25 oz or so. He loves it and we'll get a ton of use out of it I'm sure. I would think that a hydration pack for a kid would not be a common item so it might be just the Camelbak one that is available. $50 isn't bad!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My son uses a Camelbak mini mule. Works awesome. It's important that it wears comfortable and they stay hydrated. Try REI. They may have some other brands for kids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks all, the mini mule is one I have been looking at. My wife was just heading out for a ride, so I had my son try hers on, it fits well, and he claims was not too heavy (with 70oz of water in it). But, I know as soon as he starts trying to ride it will quickly become too heavy, what I may do is pick up an adult one as this one fit him fine, and as suggested above, just not fill it all the way up.

mtbr member
    My son started out with a cheap Coleman from Walmart. It worked great and fit him fine at 5-6 years old. Not a lot of bank either. This year I "upgraded" him to a kids size REI back pack that has a hydration pouch. It's really not much larger than the Coleman but it's actually lighter and it's a backpack so he can carry some stuff when we hike. It's a lot better quality too and not bulky at all.

REI Tarn 18 Pack - Youth at REI.com

The picture makes it look a lot bulkier than it really is. I guess if you wanted to jam pack it full it would be, but for normal day hiking/biking stuff that a kid would carry, it is much smaller than that.

turtles make me hot
    My son's got the Mini Mule. It works perfectly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Another vote for the mini mule. My 9 year old has been using his mini mule for the last three years. Well worth every penny! I got it cheap on sale. Look around and you will find some good deals. Price Point just had a Camel Bak sale a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My 6 year old uses the mini mule most of the time but she recently went to mountain bike camp and it wasn't nearly enough water for a 4 hour day. I was told by her coach that on one of the hotter days they had to refill it twice for her, so we tried a platypus tokul xc bag we won at the Duthie hill anniversary party and it seems to fit her and definitely had enough water storage for a full days ride and just enough room for essential tools and a lunch. Plus it is a local company that makes there bladders here and supports almost every event I take my family to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another vote for the min-mule. My6 year old loves hers.

mtbr member
    And another Mini-Mule family here. My 7-year-old loves his and his little brother is getting one next month for his birthday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Vote for mini mule. My 7yr son loves his and has no problems wearing it all day. I picked it up off ebay with free shipping for $40.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds to me like the mini-mule is the way to go. For my kids we just bought the cheapest thing we could find. Ours are Bell packs from walmart. Seems like they were 70oz bladders. Fairly small and lightweight. I use one and really need to upgrade to a 100oz.