mtbr member
    Oct 2009

How far 8 year old ride on bike before its considered child abuse?

: ) I want to get my son a bike and often ride 70km rides a lot. Can I expect to be able to push him that far on his bike? I think I am going to buy him a little trek with gears. I like to ride my bike everywhere, and just wondering whats the realistic expectations are for a 8 year old child.

How long before they fall down?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    first off great video. As for distance I would not expect to push him anywhere near that far. I have started to take my 7 year old riding. On rail trails (mostly), very light single track with about 76meters of climbing total he has gone about 10km. I also take him another loop which is light single track (mostly) and some rail trail with about 121 meters of climbing that is 7km. He is riding a haro 7speed. Could he do more? Sure but I want him to have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The thing is the city I live near is about 25km from home. I got a trailer forhis and his little brother... but at 8 hes getting to be a big boy. Im wondering about even strapping him and the bike and his brother (and my 3 month old) in or something... I dont trust my wifes ability to let her ride with my kids.. I hardly trust my own.. always worry about them... but havent had a car since like 1994.... wil lbe riding on pavement the whole way (no time to play most of the time... )

mtbr member
    My wife and I took my 6 year old daughter on a 14 mile double track mountain bike ride (Broad MT in Jim Thorpe, PA) in the summer. At the end she was feed up and angry but she did it.

My son, who is 8, did it without complaint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ves...was that anything like Jordan Creek? OP 25km on a open road flat with a lot of breaks I could see happening. The rail trail I take my kid on his 2.9 each way and he can do it twice without complaining. And one way is almost completely uphill (granted its rail trail grade). I would def get gears..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    whats the average speed you can get out of an 8 year old? I am thinking of tying a rope onto his bike maybe...

eaither going to buy something like this http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._12/mt220boys/

or this

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/zh-HT/...40/6825/42732/

I live in China so the selection kinda sucks..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dont know average speed..if either bike fits neither is a bad choice.

turtles make me hot
    My six year old is able to farther and farther every ride.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My 7 year old can ride for about 2 hours total (8 mph) - on a mtn bike on road. He does about 5 mph on singletrack (lots of stopping). It's funny, because he can hike for 4 hours straight (we climb lots of mountains). We just don't ride alot and he hasn't strengthened his bike-muscles. I think you need to gradually get him to do longer miles.

You might try a "trailgator" to tow another bike (that way when he wears out, you can tow - I'm tempted to get one for towing my son up climbs).

http://www.amazon.com/Trailgator-Bic.../dp/B000QHCWIK

Good Luck,
    sb

mtbr member
    My seven year old can do the outer loop with me of Lewis Morris park in Northern NJ. I believe we go between 7 and 8 miles (we dip in from the yellow on green and red and Orange during our ride). I bougth him a Specialized Hot Rock 20 at the beginning of the year. He loves the ride and sometimes asks to keep going.

PRETENDURO
    My four year old and I have gone 13 miles together. The terrain we rode on includes “bumpies” (his word that implies we are riding in dirt and over bumpy rocks). He rides one of those tiny-ass “BMX” style 12" wheeled bikes with no training wheels and a single speed. Lil dude is tough!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I just let one RIP
    My 7 year old happily rode 24 miles with me on a paved path. On singletrack, he's done 10-12 miles.

As for pushing him 70km, you would need to work him up to that distance.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My opinion - take him 20-30 minutes shorter than HE wants to go.

mtbr member
    When my daughter was 7 yo she was good up to about 20 miles on the road. Now that she is 8 yo and in better shape, she can do about 30 miles. I always bring a strap... just in case. I have had to pull her a time or two up the big long climbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Riding on what?

If your kid is riding 30 PSI knobbies on a poorly greased inefficient and improperly size heavy steel frame upright against a head wind while wearing flexible soled shoes, and if you're in a full tuck on a 19 pound bike that has almost no friction, you'll be expending 1/10 the effort, so then no.

I once read an article on teaching your kids to cross country ski. It pointed out that half of the kids who hated it did so because their parents would go on on long skinny perfectly waked skis, and expect the kids to keep on on plastic fish scale-bottomed POS skis.

If you want her to enjoy it, then carry all the food/water/gear for you both, make sure she's wearing shoes with some sole stiffness, and put her on a properly sized 24" hybrid with well inflated low-rolling-resistance road tires. That will allow her to ride as far as she can. If you want to feel a bit more equal, then put low pressure knobbies on your bike, limit your shifting to force you to work harder, and carry an extra 50 pounds in a pair of panniers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah Ill be on a 29 inch cobia with 700x38c 980gm schwalbe marathon plus tires, and paniers/trailer other kid weighted down like a tank

Hes already askingg when I can change his tires to "little tires" and get spd pedals, etc.... really funny

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Tow and go FASTER, FARTHER...

Quote Originally Posted by scottb32
    My 7 year old can ride for about 2 hours total (8 mph) - on a mtn bike on road. He does about 5 mph on singletrack (lots of stopping). It's funny, because he can hike for 4 hours straight (we climb lots of mountains). We just don't ride alot and he hasn't strengthened his bike-muscles. I think you need to gradually get him to do longer miles.

You might try a "trailgator" to tow another bike (that way when he wears out, you can tow - I'm tempted to get one for towing my son up climbs).

http://www.amazon.com/Trailgator-Bic.../dp/B000QHCWIK

Good Luck,
    sb

Instead of the trailgator, try the X2Cycle:
    http://x2cycle.com/
    Basically, its a tow bar, and easier for person in the back and front to maintain their own balance.
    I've pulled my daughter up hills and on long pulls. Orig got it for a bike trip w/ the wife, and it worked great then too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    my 6 y/o boy has done 12 miles on a combo of rolling paved hills and fire road, on a little BMXer. Be sure to bring plenty of food and drink. Their Kcal burn is 3X what yours is relative to their body weight. Rest, eat and drink often would be my advice.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by normonster
    Instead of the trailgator, try the X2Cycle:
    http://x2cycle.com/
    Basically, its a tow bar, and easier for person in the back and front to maintain their own balance.
    I've pulled my daughter up hills and on long pulls. Orig got it for a bike trip w/ the wife, and it worked great then too!
    NICE FIND - The X2Cycle design appears to be much better (unless the young one doesn't want to steer). I'm tempted to make 1 myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

X2cycle design

It is a smart design. The bar pivots so that the rider in the back can be off to the side of you a bit, and whats nice is that it will clip off when the bar pivots beyond a certain # of degrees. And it can clip right back on. In addition to pulling the rider behind, the bar will also push the rider in front when the rider behind picks up the pace... its cool!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have 6 and 8 year old. We occasionally do an 8 mile trail but they are quite tuckered out by the end. Being in florida, trail is almost completely flat but plenty of rooty obstacles.

There is another trail which is 4.5 miles that they love to do. More elevation, but more fun. Generally:

*) morale is very important. unhappy kid is worse mishap than broken chain

*) bring snacks, water, band aids, toilet paper, anything you can.

*) take lots of breaks. pick some hills or other fun playground type areas and let them blow off some steam.

And most especially:
    *) don't run them over :-D