mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hotrock upgrade suggestions

Been shopping for a new bikes for my daughter and a deal on a hotrock with disk brakes popped up on CL. So I've saved a bit of money and would like to do some upgrades to "make up" for the handme down.

Specs, 2013 Specialized hotrock 24XC disk
    Rider, 8yr old female, 54 lbs, 4'1", super cute and loves to ride.

The bike doesn't "need" anything except for a new rear tire, but I would love some suggestions, with links too please.

Things I am considering are carbon bars/stem/post off alibaba/ebay, 1x setup maybe with the new Suntour Zeron crank, finding a mega range 8sp cassette (the bike is 8sp even though the specs all say 7speed cassette) and new tires, if I can find anything under 1kg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There are several threads on this but here goes:

• Tires - Rocket Ron 24in Kevlar (there are other choices but this is most widely avail)
    • Possibly consider buying a complete wheelset with tires from Trailcraft. This would cut at least a pound off the bike.
    • Chinese carbon bars/post (half pound)
    • Cranks - Trailcraft or Spawn through axle 140mm (Trailcraft will let you select what chainring you get. I'd suggest a 28T). This will cut a pound off the bike.
    • Zee or GX rear der (both have a clutch and won't drop the chain)
    • Trigger shifter (much easiier for kids to operate)
    • Whatever cassette will fit whichever wheelset you go with.
    • Pedals - Wellgo KC008 (grippy cheap pedals)

About that stock 4lb fork. Swap it to an RST F1rst, go rigid, XFusion, Suntour Air fork. Suntour has an upgrade program they might honor. Worth looking into.

Those are the greatest hits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, I found and ordered rocket rons on bike24 just need to wait for them from Germany.

Carbon bars, and seatpost, foam lock on grips and a cnc 45mm stem from Little Beans Store on Aliexpress. (mentioned in another thread.)

Still need to make some decisions on drive train, and fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Wren stem is the hotness at 71g and cheap

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We went with a Beiou 26" carbon fork (BEIOU Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Fork T700 373mm Ultralight Round MTB Fork Glossy FK10R (Black Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHG49UY..._qn9rBb0T0D6B4) -- that had similar axle to crown as a squish 24" fork and was super light by comparison. And benefit that after a couple years with a 24" front wheel, now that he has grown into the bike, my son is now riding a 26" front wheel which helps a bit with rollover.

I would definitely recommend upgrading the wheels. I built (my son helped) a set of 24" Crest wheels, which are fantastic. You can get QR-only Novatec hubs really cheap from BDOP (I think around $80-90 for a pair, depending on spoke count).

Build details: http://snakesthatbite.blogspot.com/2...queso.html?m=1
    Last edited by pushstart; 1 Week Ago at 01:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gearing has been a bit of a question, but I notice a theme of 11-36 cassettes and 32 tooth chainrings, on bikes posted here, and on bikes from Spawn, Specialized riprock expert, but then Cleary has an 11-42 and 28 tooth chainring.

I has been thinking a 11-42 would be better, but does the smaller wheel gear things down too much then? My normal gearing calculator doesn't have a 24" wheel size, and even then I'm not sure what that would mean for those little legs. I guess I could start with a 28 and then when she needs the speed bump her up to a 30 or 32.

**The next day**
    Ended up getting an 11-36 10 speed SLX setup off pinkbike buy/sell and just ordered the trailcraft 140mm cranks with a 28 tooth ring. Worst case I can swap the cassette or ring depending on what is needed.

Fork is really all that is left, but I think I'll wait for packages to start arriving before I jump into that one.
    Last edited by officeboy; 4 Days Ago at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    We went from the stock 11-36 with a 32T down to a 28T and the transformation in momentum was instant. Running out of top end gears isn't really an issue unless you're doing a lot of downhill riding. For general trail use, it's been perfect for us.