Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Incidentally, I put a 30mm stem on my son's HR, and it works great for him. He is not yet 5, so a smaller stem made sense. I seem to remember the stock stem I removed was 60mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Stem / Headset HR

surfpoodi/indianadave, thx for your replies. I think I need something to fixate the pipe that goes from the front fork / front wheel through the frame. See attached pic (hopefully that works). It also looks like if you can put a screw into that pipe. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hotrock Replacement parts size?-photo.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Dude... That pipe is the steerer tube. The top of the headset goes on and then the stem cinches it all together.
    Not trying to be mean, but if you're not skilled at this, take it to someone who is, like the bike shop.
    You don't want your kid to crash because he lost his or her steering.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll second NYrr476's comments. Take it to a shop if this is unfamiliar terrain. I will say that $100 to get a cheap stem and installation seems out of line. I'd suggest a second opinion. Unless you are missing headset parts I'd think you should be out the door in 20 minutes with a total bill under $50.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's the thing, the headset is gone too. Trying to figure out what parts I need (not familiair with the English terms) and where to get them for an affordable price. But if everyone tells me that 100 is normal in the US to get this fixed, I may have too.

turtles make me hot
    I usually buy Cane Creek S-3 or now the 40 series headsets for kid's bikes.
    My son's latest bike has a blue frame and he wanted a blue headset... The bike shop got me a blue anodized one that was around 40 bucks. The brand is escaping me at the moment, but it has nice bearings and seals and spins silky smooth.
    I would think you could get a headset and a stem and get them installed for well south of 100 bucks.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haasberk View Post
    That's the thing, the headset is gone too. Trying to figure out what parts I need (not familiair with the English terms) and where to get them for an affordable price. But if everyone tells me that 100 is normal in the US to get this fixed, I may have too.
    You definitely need a new stem ($20-50), some spacers ($5) and at least new top half of the headset (bearings, cover & stem cap). A new headset runs ~$30 for a cheapo at the LBS. The should be a "star-fangled nut" inside the steerer tube of the fork, which a stem cap threads into, if not, factor in another $5-10 for a shop to put one in. Some headsets come with these nuts.

A decent local shop might be able to scare up the half headset needed out of spare parts. Sounds like everything should be 1 1/8" diameter threadless. The handlebar is probably 25.4 diameter where the stem clamps on, but could possibly be 31.8mm diameter.

For the uninitiated, the headset install/removal needs some specialized tools. A shop shouldn't charge more than $15-25 for install of a new headset & stem. Park tools website has a good repair area to show you how to work on stuff.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys, that is very helpful!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    does anyone know what stem would fit the specialized hotrock 16"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a 1-1/8" steer tube, and likely a 25.4 handlebar. I'd get the shortest you can find, likely a 50mm length. They are plentiful, and 25.4 stems are cheap since most all grownup bikes have gone to the 31.8 daiameter handlebars.
    Old downhill stems are short, but usually pretty beefy.
    I got one cheap, then "milled out" the sides to lighten it up. It's light, and plenty strong for my kid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    It's a 1-1/8" steer tube, and likely a 25.4 handlebar. I'd get the shortest you can find, likely a 50mm length. They are plentiful, and 25.4 stems are cheap since most all grownup bikes have gone to the 31.8 daiameter handlebars.
    Old downhill stems are short, but usually pretty beefy.
    I got one cheap, then "milled out" the sides to lighten it up. It's light, and plenty strong for my kid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2