mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Hotrock 16 - Where is the low hanging fruit for weight savings?

I picked up a Craigslist score on a nearly new Hotrock 16 for just $35! After just a couple days of practice runs my 3.5 y.o. is riding like a bat-outta-hell and I am so stoked! It was a pretty smooth transition after using a Strider since 17 months.

I already ordered some brake levers and one Tektro BMX brake to try out since the coaster brake seems to be an impossible concept for my son to grasp...and probably good to keep it that way.

I weighed the bike tonight and it comes in at 17.5 lbs stock. I find it a little crazy since my 60cm steel road bike (that is not trying to be a weight-weeny by any means), is only a few pounds more.

I'd like to start slowly upgrading parts to shed weight but I don't have the budget to tackle it all at once. In what order would make the most sense for cost/weight benefit on this project?

Thanks guys & gals!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've got some info on kids bike weight loss here.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Great score. I happily paid $85 for a HotRock 16 that was a few years old.

I replaced the steel seatpost on ours with a custom aluminum one, and removed the training wheels. Also replaced the grips with smaller Velo Mini grips. Putting on a rear brake will only add weight unless you rebuild the rear wheel with a much lighter hub. Might was well do the front wheel too while you're at it. It all depends on how much you want to sink into it (and the depth of your spare parts bin) before your child outgrows it. The stock weight is not too bad considering most cheaper steel frame kids bikes weight 5-8lb more.

My daughter graduated from a 12" coaster-brake bike, so the 16's coaster brake was no big deal. The only thing i don't like about the coaster brake is that it's tougher to get the pedals in the "ready" position to start riding since you cannot backpedal. I have my kids' saddles set high so their riding stance is closer to correct versus super-low so they can sit on the saddle with their feet on the ground.

JMJ