Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by felchi80 View Post
    Is the OSET rear wheel available anyway online in north america?
    Not sure about online, as I'm UK, but there's a dealer network at Dealers » OSET Bikes and the wheel is listed on the US web-site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Re: Hotrock 16 Trials Build

Quote Originally Posted by MIOM View Post
    Not sure about online, as I'm UK, but there's a dealer network at Dealers » OSET Bikes and the wheel is listed on the US web-site.
    Thanks

I contacted a dealer in Canada.
    He didn't give me a price yet. Said it would take a month to order it....

Maybe I should just lace one up with one of the hubs posted earlier.

Who invented the damn coaster brake... My daughter just learned to ride her Hotrock 16... Coming from a push bike.
    She cannot start by herself because the pedal cannot be positioned. Also she cannot brake!!
    This is very bad.... I need hand brakes and a freewheel asap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks

I contacted a dealer in Canada.
    He didn't give me a price yet. Said it would take a month to order it....

Maybe I should just lace one up with one of the hubs posted earlier.

Who invented the damn coaster brake... My daughter just learned to ride her Hotrock 16... Coming from a push bike.
    She cannot start by herself because the pedal cannot be positioned. Also she cannot brake!!
    This is very bad.... I need hand brakes and a freewheel asap.
    I hate the coaster brakes, my boy couldn't get along with his despite being quite a good rider. Am sure someone will say they're for safety due to strength of little hands etc, but you can make any type of brake efficient enough for a kid to pull it. Hydraulic discs though are the best!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    uh oh... I messed up.
    Bought a flip flop hub with 30mm thread instead of standard on one side.... seems like biggest freewheel available for 30mm thread is 15T... Now I need to find a smaller chain ring... I just bought an SRAM crankset with 38T to be shortened.
    Would 15T rear 38T front be too hard for the little one? She does not have much leg power yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    does anyone know what stem size will fit on the hotrock 16?

It is a 1 1/8th steer tube. Is that what you mean?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks bikin222.
    for a freewheel rear disc hub, any one in the US have a recommendation?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
    thanks bikin222.
    for a freewheel rear disc hub, any one in the US have a recommendation?
    Std Rear Hub - FW/Disc BLK 36 - CYCLES U.S.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Since my son finally wore out his back tire with all the big coaster brake skids, I figured it was time to add real brakes.

I spoke with Steve at OSET (Contact OSET Bikes) and within a week have the following:
    Front and rear disc wheelset (narrow). The wheels ship complete with a 2.5 front and 2.7 rear tire for $46/ea. I also got a set of their narrower 2.4 tires for $17/ea.

First impressions:

Fit
    The back wheel is not aligned for proper chainline or rotor clearance on the non-drive side. This was easily remedied by swapping a spacer between the cone/locknut from the driveside to non-drive side of the axle. As mentioned previously or in another thread, the drive side 6 bolt adapter will need to be unthreaded/removed. This is easily done with a small vise. The rear wheel did not include axle nuts, but are standard axle size (10x1 I think), so the stock nuts transfer over.
    The front hub flanges do not clear the fork legs. If you want to use OSETs front wheel, it seems you will need a fork with wider clearance around the dropout. Now Im wondering how MIOM got around this?

Weight
    OSET Front wheel @ 712g vs. stock @ 575g (But I wont be using the OSET front wheel due to fit issues). OSET Rear wheel @ 766g vs. stock @ 1176g (-410g!). OSET Tires: 2.4 @ 685g (+/-10g), 2.5 @ 706g, 2.7 @ 865g. Stock tires are @ 350g (+335g per 2.4 tire! :-( ). I think if I were to do it again, Id just go with the 2.5 tires as they seem nicer; maybe its just my perception because they are actually branded Kenda vs. something generic. At any rate, the 2.4 tires seated evenly and easily on the OSET rear rim and stock front.

Will be working on an aluminum bracket to mount the caliper up to a 140mm rotor next...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cromo900 View Post
    Since my son finally wore out his back tire with all the big coaster brake skids, I figured it was time to add real brakes.

I spoke with Steve at OSET (Contact OSET Bikes) and within a week have the following:
    1. Front and rear disc wheelset (narrow). The wheels ship complete with a 2.5 front and 2.7 rear tire for $46/ea.
    2. 2 x 2.4 tires for $17/ea

First impressions:

Fit
    The back wheel is not aligned for proper chainline or rotor clearance on the non-drive side. This was easily remedied by swapping a spacer between the cone/locknut from the driveside to non-drive side of the axle. As mentioned previously or in another thread, the drive side 6 bolt adapter will need to be unthreaded/removed. This is easily done with a small vise. The rear wheel did not include axle nuts, but are standard axle size (10x1 I think), so the stock nuts transfer over.
    The front hub flanges do not clear the fork legs. If you want to use OSETs front wheel, it seems you will need a fork with wider clearance around the dropout. Now Im wondering how MIMO got around this?

Weight
    OSET Front wheel @ 712g vs. stock @ 575g (But I wont be using the OSET front wheel due to fit issues). OSET Rear wheel @ 766g vs. stock @ 1176g (-410g!). OSET Tires: 2.4 @ 685g (+/-10g), 2.5 @ 706g, 2.7 @ 865g. Stock tires are @ 350g (+335g per 2.4 tire! :-( ). I think if I were to do it again, Id just go with the 2.5 tires as they seem nicer; maybe its just my perception because they are actually branded Kenda vs. something generic. At any rate, the 2.4 tires seated evenly and easily on the OSET rear rim and stock front.

Will be working on an aluminum bracket to mount the caliper up to a 140mm rotor next...

is that including shipping?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Shipping was an extra $17 from CO to WA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, it's all set up and the boy rode it for the first time tonight. Skids are just as bad out of the gate, but I think he will learn to modulate eventually. Disc caliper adapter bracket was a pain to cut out with the hacksaw and I'm not thrilled with the final homemade look of it. I'll find a bandsaw for the next one. A mill would be even better as you could mill down 1/2" aluminum in a way to not need any spacers between the bracket and caliper mount.

At any rate it was a fun little project and relatively easy with the wheel from OSET.

Hotrock 16 Trials Build-10513253_10204526731071902_2416471927307634888_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Don't beat yourself up you've done a good job since it was with a hacksaw.
    I was fortunate and had a band saw which made light work of it, I also had a band & disc sander to clear it up.
    Paint it to match the frame and it will blend in.

I'm sure with a bit of practice the skids will be reduced. From memory we used a slope where lil1 had to use brake but not lock up.

The good thing is you now have safe braking and they will transfer to the bigger bike much easier when the time comes and you can move the brakes over
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    so hard finding a 110mm rear free hub for the disc.... any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Lots of trials hubs are 110mm (or 116mm with those 3mm snail cam things) and are available with disc mounts one side, freewheel the other.
    Take a look here for ideas:
    116mm Fixed Hubs

Novatech also make one (bit of a rare beast though).
    EDIT - sorry, the Novatech one is 120mm, so would need modification.
    Last edited by Nyquist; 07-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is the OSET rear wheel available anyway online in north america?
    This looks promising....

https://kingcobraofflorida.com/osetb...ategory=Wheels

$45 for the narrow rear disk setup, beats the $100 with shipping I was quoted from the UK...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    Lots of trials hubs are 110mm (or 116mm with those 3mm snail cam things) and are available with disc mounts one side, freewheel the other.
    Take a look here for ideas:
    116mm Fixed Hubs

Novatech also make one (bit of a rare beast though).
    EDIT - sorry, the Novatech one is 120mm, so would need modification.
    Echo TR here and Bonz hub look good, can get 32 hole 16 inch rims from Velocity or Lil Shredder (better option).

That Oset wheel is a cheaper option through and they have a 12.5 for Hotrock 12 conversion!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cromo900 View Post
    Well, it's all set up and the boy rode it for the first time tonight. Skids are just as bad out of the gate, but I think he will learn to modulate eventually. Disc caliper adapter bracket was a pain to cut out with the hacksaw and I'm not thrilled with the final homemade look of it. I'll find a bandsaw for the next one. A mill would be even better as you could mill down 1/2" aluminum in a way to not need any spacers between the bracket and caliper mount.

At any rate it was a fun little project and relatively easy with the wheel from OSET.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10513253_10204526731071902_2416471927307634888_n.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	908918
    Did you use a template for that adapter that attaches to the internal brake boss on the frame? That seems the most secure of the ones I have seen. How thick was the aluminum, 11/16?

mtbr member
    Cake monster follow this link and look at post #17
    Hotrock 16 build - thank you

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Did you use a template for that adapter that attaches to the internal brake boss on the frame? That seems the most secure of the ones I have seen. How thick was the aluminum, 11/16?
    Hi. Yes, I just made a template and used some 6mm aluminium plate to make the bracket. If you want me to take a copy of the bracket and e-mail it to you let me now, happy to do so.

Thanks, Mark.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MIOM View Post
    Hi. Yes, I just made a template and used some 6mm aluminium plate to make the bracket. If you want me to take a copy of the bracket and e-mail it to you let me now, happy to do so.

Thanks, Mark.
    Thank You, that would be awesome. How did you create the correct spacing for the disc caliper? Custom spacers? Do you have a picture of the final setup? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Felchi80 heres the link to the OSET USA Distributor list.
    Dealers » OSET Bikes

Alternatively look at this thread as there is an alternatives 16" freewheel options - ways to do it?

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2