mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Hot Rock 20" Questions

My son and I are new to the sport and I picked up a used Hot Rock 20" at a good price(i think so), he loves riding and handles the bike very well. This past weekend the front brake lever broke not while riding lucky. I called around locally and found a pair of the replacement tektrol for around $20. I was checking around on line and found a pair of Avid Speed Dial 5 for just over $20. I was thinking of picking up a set of Avid Single Digit 5 and just upgrading the brakes. My son is 7 and I fell like he might be on this bike for a while. The question I have is this something I should do or just replace with stock?
    Also the grips are in bad shape and I have found replacement for use with grip shifts but there are a pair. Do I need to buy a pair of each grip shift and standard grips and use one of each and have a spare set?

mtbr member
    1) Sure, upgrade the brakes. Very good place to spend $$$ on your kids' bikes.
    2) I assume that the bike only has a right-hand shifter. Just buy the full-size grips, and cut down the right side grip with a utility knife to fit the grip shift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    1) The Speed Dial levers are a nice upgrade, especially the ability to adjust the leverage is great for children with small hands.

2) Some full length grips come with a moulded in line to show you where to trim the grip for grip shifters, for example. So the moral of the story is you can buy most full length grips and cut one down but you can't go the other way .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the help. This site is great! Its nice to have access to so many people and there experience.
    I have been seeing the grip with the lock ring and bar ends, I think i will go this route as the ends are whats destroyed on his grips now.