internet axe murderer

Holes in Camelbak bite valve

Hi. Is anyone else's kid springing leaks in their Camelbak bite valve tubes? I'm talking about the little bit of tube just below the bite valve, the part that fits over the ergo piece. We got my son a mini-MULE about a month ago and have now gone through 2 valves. He says he is not biting below the big part of the valve, you know, the place you're supposed to bite. But maybe he is without knowing it. I honestly can't remember if the holes developed on the top and bottom of the valve, or the sides. Hmmmm. But you know, those brand new adult teeth he's been sprouting this year are quite sharp enough for that nice soft silicone valve.

I am wondering if the L shaped ergo piece isn't part of the problem. Have you tried to thread those things through the little kid's pack? Kind of a pain, and I think the valve gets bent back and forth as it is threaded though.

We bought a Source Helix valve to replace it this time. I have this kind of valve on my new MEC pack and it has a different design than the Camelbak valve. (Still a pain to get it through my pack too, kind of bulky.) Why do all the hydration companies think we need ergo pieces anyway? I thought my old-fashioned straight tube and valve worked just fine. Maybe it's just me and I'm being a retro-grouch.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their kid's hydration pack valves, because the bike shops keep laughing at us when we go in for new valves.

Thanks,

Courtney

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My son and daughter have had mini mules for about a year, no problems yet.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

turtles make me hot
    My son was biting holes in his when he first got it. I finally made him understand how to do it. Now, we change his valve when it starts leaking.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My son bit through it in one summer's season. He's older now and I think the replacement one will last far longer. I blame the novelty of it more than anything else. Every time we stop the tube goes in his mouth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hah! Yeah. Mine did when he was six. It was either that or suck on his shirt.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    My kids have ruined 2 of the bite valves on MY Camelbacks. I have tried to teach them how to do it without biting below the valve, where it slips over the yellow ergo piece, but they love having the thing in their mouth even when they are not drinking!

Oh well, a few buck to replace it, maybe I should look for a bulk buy deal!

frog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My 7 yr old son bit a hole in his first one. I bought the replacement, explained that he caused the hole by biting, though he swore he didn't. (But I caught him lightly "gnawing" on it a few times.) He hasn't bitten a hole it in since then. We'll see if he does over time.

My 3 yr old daughter destroyed the the valve on her stainless bottle. She just absolutely gnawed it to bits. But, since she's good about keeping it closed, I haven't replaced it.
    7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

internet axe murderer
    Yeah, except they are $9.50 per bite valve here in Alberta. Seems like a rip-off, doesn't it?

It never occurred to me that kids would like gnawing on them. Sheesh. I see mine isn't the only one though. That makes me feel better. ;-)

I emailed Camelbak about it, just letting them know. And they said the best thing to do is to teach kids not to chew on them. Well, duh. I still think it would be nice if they made them more durable.

Courtney

One Gear
    Mine did the same thing. Throw the bite valve out and make them use it without for a while. They will have to open and close the valve each time. My kids caught on after a couple of rides without the nice soft bite valve in place. If that doesn't work, take them to the store and make them pay for it.

Good luck

mtbr member
    +1 Best idea yet.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My 6 year old was knawing on hers the whole ride. I got after her everytime I saw her doing it, but she ended up chewing thru one. I bought her new one, explained to her not to chew on it while riding, and that she didn't have to bit down hard to get it to work. I also told her the next one was coming out of her allowance. The next valve lasted the rest of the summer, and is still fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Yeah, except they are $9.50 per bite valve here in Alberta. Seems like a rip-off, doesn't it?

It never occurred to me that kids would like gnawing on them. Sheesh. I see mine isn't the only one though. That makes me feel better. ;-)

I emailed Camelbak about it, just letting them know. And they said the best thing to do is to teach kids not to chew on them. Well, duh. I still think it would be nice if they made them more durable.

Courtney
    Oh Gawd, I wish I only had to pay $9.50 for a bite valve, here oz the source helix valves are 30 a piece and camelbak just doesn't seem to sell valves seperately. My son seems to hew threw a valve every six months or so. I'd love to know how you got your kids not to gnaw through them.