mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr

Last week, I bought the Scott Scale RC Jr for my 9 year old daughter. This is the second Scott in the family -- my 12 year old is using her elder sister's 2006 JR 24.

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-ns.jpg

We are both pleased with the bike, though I was a little disappointed with the weight: 11.71kg (25.76lbs), with bottle cage and pedals, which is half a kilogram heavier than advertised. Nonetheless, I think it's good platform to start with, with a 9 speed freehub and light wheels (or at least I am assuming they are light!).

I'd like to lighten the bike, hopefully make it sub-23lbs. I've lost touch slightly with the state of weight-weenie technology today, and would like some advice and suggestions on weight savings.

I'll document the weights of the various parts as I go along.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Not the best picture, but this is the 2006 Racing JR 24, which I built up using mostly spare parts from the parts bin. I did however buy a pair of 165mm RS7 Middleburn cranks. Total weight is sub-22lbs.

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-ns2.jpg

The fork is a vintage titanium IRD expedition fork, with the crown lowered to fit 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    For the cranks, I think I will go with 160mm RS-7s. Toying with the idea of a 1 x 10 drivetrain, and using a Wolf Tooth Components 30T direct mount chainring. Their website says that the ring is designed for the RS-8 cranks, and hence the chainline will be wrong if used on the RS-7.

I'm assuming the difference will be 2mm. Will it still work though? I have a spare Ti Phil Wood BB that will allow me to adjust the chainline a little.

The alternative is get a 4 arm spider and just go with the 30T 104mm BCD ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Some of the weights of the stock parts are as below.

Syncros 620mm Handlebar: 247g
    Syncros Grips: 84g
    Syncros 6 degree 90mm stem: 142g
    Syncros seatpost (26.8/350mm): 282g
    Seatpost clamp: 38g
    Syncros Jr RC saddle: 269g

The good news is that the parts are actually quite decent, in particular the stem, which is reasonably light. The bad news is that it'll be harder to save weight.

The handlebars are too wide at 620mm. I have a Titec Ti bar that I might use, which is about 150g. I will have to shim it to 31.8mm though. The alternative is a lightweight carbon bar. Any recommendations?

The seatpost is a bit of a conundrum. The only decent post I know that comes in 26.8mm is the Thomson Elite. I worry though that my daughter might soon outgrow its 330mm length. Are there any light posts in 26.8/400mm?

The alternative is to ream the seattube, which I know Nino did (twice) to his son's bike. Anybody think this is a bad idea? It seems like the seattube is thick enough, although it would be wise to seek counsel from the experienced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A few idea's here.
    Scott Spark RC 24 with mods

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by joeadnan View Post

Are there any light posts in 26.8/400mm?
    eBay has a couple of RF Deus 26.8 x 400 posts for ~$40.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Thanks Kabayan. I also see that Tune has 26.8 posts in 420mm lengths. I don't have to make that particular decision yet; my local bike shop has located its seat tube reamer, so I might have a go with that first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    May I ask where you bought the bike? I'm looking for one for my son and the local Scott dealers don't have stock and they tell me no stock at the factory either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlo2008 View Post
    May I ask where you bought the bike? I'm looking for one for my son and the local Scott dealers don't have stock and they tell me no stock at the factory either.
    I live in Malaysia, and bought it from the local dealer here in Kuala Lumpur. It took a bit of time though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Tyres... 626g!

The stock tyres are wire bead Schwalbe Smart Sams. Decent tyres, but not Kevlar bead as advertised! I am sure there are some consumer laws that have been breached here...

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-smartsam.jpg

Somewhat fittingly, the heavy tyres are already halfway into the wastebin.

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-rocketron1.jpg

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-rocketron2.jpg

The two Rocket Rons came in slightly above the claimed weight. Still, approximately 350g saved here, or more than 3/4 of a pound in old money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Ashima discs

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-airotor.jpg

I went with 160mm Ashima Airotor discs. Cheap, and free delivery from Taiwan. I've used them on my wife's Maverick for 5+ years, with no problems. 66g savings over the stock Tektro rotors.

Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-tektrodisc.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Other changes for which there are no pictures:

Loaded X-Lite Ti 5/90mm: 100g (42g savings)
    Race Face Next carbon bar at a more reasonable 530mm width: 132g (115g savings)

Total weight reduction thus far: 571g, bringing the total bike weight to 11.14kg, or 24.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Help me lighten this Scott Scale RC Jr-frwheel.jpg

Here is an interesting photo. The front wheel is a porky 834g! Not what I was expecting for a 24 spoke wheel. I might ditch the hub and rebuild the rim with a lighter hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here's what I did. Though doesn't look as extreme as you may want to go, it could give you some ideas.

Scott Scale RC Jr w/ mods and weights

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    ...The front wheel is a porky 834g! Not what I was expecting for a 24 spoke wheel...
    Correction. It's a 20 spoke wheel! Which makes it porkier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Here's what I did. Though doesn't look as extreme as you may want to go, it could give you some ideas.

Scott Scale RC Jr w/ mods and weights
    Thanks very much, Stom. Your thread, xc71's thread and Nino's thread on the weight weenie board are very much the inspiration for this little project of mine, which I will admit is as much for my own personal amusement as well as for the benefit of Daughter No. 3!

Edit: these are nino's threads, for future reference.

24" Kids Bike: 8,4 Kilos/ 18,5 lbs

lightweight 150-155mm cranks for kids?
    Last edited by joeadnan; 17 Hours Ago at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Some of the weights of the stock parts are as below.

Syncros 620mm Handlebar: 247g
    Syncros Grips: 84g
    Syncros 6 degree 90mm stem: 142g
    Syncros seatpost (26.8/350mm): 282g
    Seatpost clamp: 38g
    Syncros Jr RC saddle: 269g

The good news is that the parts are actually quite decent, in particular the stem, which is reasonably light. The bad news is that it'll be harder to save weight.

The handlebars are too wide at 620mm. I have a Titec Ti bar that I might use, which is about 150g. I will have to shim it to 31.8mm though. The alternative is a lightweight carbon bar. Any recommendations?

The seatpost is a bit of a conundrum. The only decent post I know that comes in 26.8mm is the Thomson Elite. I worry though that my daughter might soon outgrow its 330mm length. Are there any light posts in 26.8/400mm?

The alternative is to ream the seattube, which I know Nino did (twice) to his son's bike. Anybody think this is a bad idea? It seems like the seattube is thick enough, although it would be wise to seek counsel from the experienced.
    Just a heads up Price Point has the Truvative World Cup 145g handlebars for $19.98. A good buy for the weight.

Truvativ Stylo World Cup Flat Bar | TruVativ