mtbr member

Help finding used 26 full suspension for ten year old

Hi all,

Looking for any and all suggestions. My soon to be ten year old son is currently on a 24" Rocky Mountain with at 13" frame and disc brakes, and he is one growth spurt away from outgrowing it. This is his third season on it. I've seen on here where an XS Juliana is often used for kids his age, but they are next to impossible to find used, and I hate to replace it in a year. The newer Julianas are too hard to disguise the fact that it is a girls bike. I'm thinking a small Superlight, or even a Small Yeti about 5 years old might be the way to go, but all the used bikes with 26" wheels I am seeing are REALLY old and probably heavier than what he is on now, and don't have disc brakes. We live in Utah, and I feel pretty strongly that he needs the extra braking power. What other full suspension bikes come in smaller frames with 26" wheels that aren't from the last century? I found a small Yeti for $1295 (ugh) with these specs but it just seems like so much $$$ and possibly overkill for a kid. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Used Yeti 575 Aluminum. Size Small. Very Good condition. This bike has been very well maintained, freehub was just serviced and the bike is freshly tuned.

SPECS:
    Fox Talas RLC 130mm fork
    Fox RP3 shock
    Mavic Crossmax SL Wheelset
    SRAM x0 rear der. 9spd
    SRAM x0 shifters
    Shimano XTR Front Der.
    Shimano XTR Triple Crankset
    Avid Juicy Brakes
    Chris King Headset
    Raceface Next riser XC carbon handlebar
    Ritchey Seatpost
    Selle Italia XC saddle
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron front tire- installed a couple weeks ago.
    Continental Trail King rear tire, installed a couple weeks ago.
    Tires are set up tubeless

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by finsterlee View Post
    We live in Utah, and I feel pretty strongly that he needs the extra braking power. What other full suspension bikes come in smaller frames with 26" wheels that aren't from the last century?
    The last century is actually your best choice.

What matters first is the fit (including brake lever reach)
    What matters second is getting the suspension to work. It's not designed to suspend a kid +/- 40Kg. This is where an old air/oil fork is perfect to flatten the response curve.
    V-brakes are okay, because, again, we're talking about slowing a mass about 40Kg, not 60Kg.

Having ridden mountain bikes as far back as 198x, the modern equipment isn't *that* much better.

mtbr member
    Good point you make regarding his weight not engaging the shocks. Makes perfect sense, but I had never thought of it. Every year he rides in a mountain biking program for kids that runs all summer long and the coaches only take them on age-appropriate trails, so my son is the one that is asking about shocks on his next bike. Everything is mountainous here, even the beginner trails, which is why I (and his coaches) prefer the better brakes. We are not pushing him to keep up with us if that is what you are asking when you say "these rides"? Thank you for replying.

mtbr member
    And thank you for the revised post with the additional brake info too. Also makes good sense.