mtbr member

help: 20 inch wheelset, 126mm rear spacing, disc

I purchased a Norco Spice for my daughter and wanted to lighten the bike. I anticipated the the rear spacing to be standard but it's the old standard of 126mm.

I have only found one 130mm disc hub option from novatec Novatec D351SB D352SB hub MTB bicycle bike disc brake hubs 8s 9s 10s 11s 24H 32H 100*130mm-in Bicycle Hubs from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and have not gotten a response from velocity about a cross hub.

I'm venturing into building my first wheelset and not sure if I should embark on this since I can't locate a 126mm rear hub. I've read sheldon brown website. I'm worried about disc alignment and other problems.
    Has anyone this? Or have a good solution to lighten the wheelset?

I've thought of possibly just relacing a lighter rim and spoke on the original hubs as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

The frame is aluminum, the smallest disc rear hub I found is 130mm.
    Spice Alloy - 20" Multi-Speed - Youth - Bikes - Norco Bicycles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You likely could cram a 130mm disk hub into the 126mm rear dropouts if you go that way. You would also then need to replace the 6-speed drivetrain parts with either 8-9-or 10 speed as you will not be able to use 6-speed gearing on a 8-9-10 speed casette.

Norco list the spice as having alloy hubs though it looks like they use a threaded freewheel and solid axle with bolts rather than quick-release. One option would be to replace the solid axles with hollow so you can use a QR, and re-build the 32 spoke wheels with 16 spokes (per; Kid specific Wheel Build for 40lb rider NEED HELP )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    You likely could cram a 130mm disk hub into the 126mm rear dropouts if you go that way. You would also then need to replace the 6-speed drivetrain parts with either 8-9-or 10 speed as you will not be able to use 6-speed gearing on a 8-9-10 speed casette.

Norco list the spice as having alloy hubs though it looks like they use a threaded freewheel and solid axle with bolts rather than quick-release. One option would be to replace the solid axles with hollow so you can use a QR, and re-build the 32 spoke wheels with 16 spokes (per; Kid specific Wheel Build for 40lb rider NEED HELP )
    I was looking into converting to quick release and hollow axles as you mentioned. But I'm also having difficulty locating a hollow axle for the rear.
    Will I need new spokes if I go from 32 to 16? Is the pattern different? I'll go back to read the thread again. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk