mtbr member
    May 2012

Hand brake for Hotrock 16

I got a 16" hotrock and want to try a rear handbrake. Looks like I need something like a Tektro 984 AR sidepull and 275A hand brake? TEKTRO BRAKE SYSTEMS

The frame does not have any mounts for a V brake? And I do not know how to modify the frame to accept V brakes?

If my son likes the rear brake I could replace the rear hub, which would require restringing new spokes, right?

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 09-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes, I am going to buy the Tektro brake for the rear and see how my son likes it. I did research replacing the rear coaster hub with a freewheel and learned that I would need to relace/rebuild the wheel to do this. I also ran across some info on removing the brake pads in the coaster brake, to disable it. I saw lots of mixed reviews on this, though.

Thanks all

Bill

mtbr member

I wouldn't...

I went down that road and it was a waste of time for us. If they are on a 16" it is unlikely that they have the hand strength to effectively use a coaster style hand brake. We were 0-2. It did look cool.

You could have the mounts welded on for a V-brake and repaint it maybe, but that is a lot of time and effort. Save the cash and put it towards a nice 20". They will be on it sooner than you think. FYI, The Giant had the lowest clearance of all of the models we tried and got him on a a 20" a whole summer sooner than if we had gotten a Hotrock.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...