mtbr member
    Jun 2011

GT Zaskar24 Weight?

Does anyone have a GT Zaskar 24? I'm thinking about getting either the Scott Scale RC Jr or GT Zaskar for my 8 yr old. Scott publishes 22.9lbs for RC. I couldn't find a weight for the GT Zaskar. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    THey both look to be fairly comparably equipped. I like that the GT has a 2X crankset rather than 3X which is probably unceccesary for a kids 24".
    The Scott has V-brakes rather than disks to save weight, I also like that the Scott uses 20/24 spoke wheels rather than GT's 32/32 which are complete overkill for a kid. Schwalbe tires are probably better than the GT kendas. If undecided, I would probably check to figure out if the GT's fork is air adjustable like the Scott which might be a better fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I do like the 2x on the GT better than the 3x on the Scott. I may change it to a 1x setup regardless though. It seems like the Scott is a better bike outside of that but it's also a little more expensive. The GT has a spring only fork vs. the air of the Scott. My concern with the Scott fork is stiction. I have yet to feel the 24" version but the 20" version has a lot of stiction. With no negative spring adjustment, it may not be as good as the spring fork counterpart. That said, I may swap it out for a higher quality fork anyway. I could probably get a 2-3 yr old close out for cheap.