Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,964

    A great weekend for the kids

    This past weekend was truly amazing for my 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. It was the culmination of what we've been working towards for the last five years.

    We live in Northern California and finding fun, kid-friendly trails is always a challenge. The decent trails always have 1000 foot climbs and that's just beyond the strength and motivation of these kids.

    But this last month, we've ridden 3x a week around the neighborhood and we've made a game of creating a bike obstacle course. Plus, we found a local dirt jump track and we've spent time there to get them comfortable with their bikes.

    My son is riding a Santa Cruz Blur and my daughter a Specialized HotRock with 24" wheels. My son has been riding for a while but my daughter has never been on singletrack.

    Here's some photos and they can't stop talking about the jumps and the logs. They have not asked me yet if I can take them out for a ride. But I've made a commitment to give the best experience possible. There's a lot of negotiation involved but I hook them with their favorite ice cream shop, beach after the ride, bringing their friends, etc.

    It is not easy but it is starting to pay off!!

    Some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A great weekend for the kids-182310_10150871062223213_1322049041_n.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-204516_10151155799438213_1932966551_o.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-408856_10151155798678213_1303668977_n.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-133433_10151155800293213_957994035_o.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-p9220080.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-615574_10151154525133213_1041635341_o.jpg  

    A great weekend for the kids-p9220133.jpg  

    Last edited by francois; 10-01-2012 at 03:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Wēk Sôs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,439
    nice, fc. your son is riding a look in the first picture. i don't recognize the root jump, i need to take my son there, he's 8 and rides well for his age.

    what's the 6th picture of? it looks like some concrete park? it looks like some serious air, hard to tell for sure from the picture.

  3. #3
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,964
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    nice, fc. your son is riding a look in the first picture. i don't recognize the root jump, i need to take my son there, he's 8 and rides well for his age.

    what's the 6th picture of? it looks like some concrete park? it looks like some serious air, hard to tell for sure from the picture.
    Hey, yeah he used to have a Look but I sold that for some good benjamins. Now he's borrowing my bike but he's not complaining.

    The root jump is at Pogonip fire road.

    The concrete park is in Lake Cunningham skate park in East San Jose.

    fc

  4. #4
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,964
    I noticed the gloves were hand me downs! We always rode with my daughter in the alley-cat (third wheel) bike. This year, she refused to get on it. So we went in to training mode... dropping curbs and hopping roots at every opportunity.

    Here they are at 5 and 8 yrs and 8 and 11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A great weekend for the kids-miguelisa.jpg  


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,128
    Those are great pics and you know they're having a blast by the looks on their faces. Makes me feel sorry for kids who don't get exposed to outdoor activities and develop physical hobbies early on.

  6. #6
    NONDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,540
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Makes me feel sorry for kids who don't get exposed to outdoor activities and develop physical hobbies early on.
    Yeah, tell me about it. I have neighbours whose kids are obsese already (I believe they are ages 7 and 9) since all they do is play the “Nintendo Wee” and “Ex Box” and watch television. They have Wall Mart bicycles sitting in their garage that I think I’ve seen them ride once before. They’ve made comments to me before along the lines of my “kids must be tired all the time” since I “make them ride so far” after we come back from an 8 – 16 mile loop of mostly flat riding with some singletrack and pumptrack riding mixed in.

    Oh yeah, and their daughter eats her own boogers.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    They’ve made comments to me before along the lines of my “kids must be tired all the time” since I “make them ride so far” after we come back from an 8 – 16 mile loop of mostly flat riding with some singletrack and pumptrack riding mixed in.
    :
    A friend and I were just discussing how the fitter our kids get, the harder it is to tire them out. Our mutual friend was then defending the fitness of her kids by telling us about how much wee fit they play. I haven't actually played wee fit, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that standing in front of the TV playing tennis is less strenuous than any real sport.
    My guess is that your kids are tired almost none of the time.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeginnerCycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,328
    I think it's possible to get some exercise on the Wii, but you can also game the system a bit -- on rainy days I've had to make sure our kids stay standing up instead of sitting on some of the fitness games.

    Still, no question the Wii's not nearly as strenuous or fun as mountain biking. My 7 year old son loves it! Now, if only I could get my 9 year old daughter to do it . . .
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

  9. #9
    NONDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,540
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    I think it's possible to get some exercise on the Wii, but you can also game the system a bit -- on rainy days I've had to make sure our kids stay standing up instead of sitting on some of the fitness games.

    Still, no question the Wii's not nearly as strenuous or fun as mountain biking. My 7 year old son loves it! Now, if only I could get my 9 year old daughter to do it . . .
    I’ve taken my kids riding on the singletrack when it’s raining buckets before and they are OK with it. In fact, stable-minded, happy, healthy kids LOVE splashing around in mud. I did it as a kid, and now I am encouraging my boys to follow suit. Just have to remember to clean the bikes properly after each immersion.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Asmodeus2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This past weekend was truly amazing for my 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. It was the culmination of what we've been working towards for the last five years.

    We live in Northern California and finding fun, kid-friendly trails is always a challenge. The decent trails always have 1000 foot climbs and that's just beyond the strength and motivation of these kids.

    But this last month, we've ridden 3x a week around the neighborhood and we've made a game of creating a bike obstacle course. Plus, we found a local dirt jump track and we've spent time there to get them comfortable with their bikes.

    My son is riding a Santa Cruz Blur and my daughter a Specialized HotRock with 24" wheels. My son has been riding for a while but my daughter has never been on singletrack.

    Here's some photos and they can't stop talking about the jumps and the logs. They have not asked me yet if I can take them out for a ride. But I've made a commitment to give the best experience possible. There's a lot of negotiation involved but I hook them with their favorite ice cream shop, beach after the ride, bringing their friends, etc.

    It is not easy but it is starting to pay off!!

    Some photos.
    Very cool. It's the same with my kids, takes a bit to entice them to ride but it's always worth it. Now that they are a bit older (8 and 10) they will go just about when ever I ask. We also ride around the neighbor hood and play on the dirt paths for fun. Just getting riding time even if it's not on a real trail makes them better riders and gets us outside together.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •