Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here. Graduating to 26" Wheels

My two boys (9 and 11) are both currently riding 24" wheeled MTB's (Kona Hula, Scott Voltage JR 24). They've been out on the trails a few times with me and really enjoy it. I think they're ready to step up to bigger wheels and bikes with better components. I like the Islabikes Creig 26 but $1,100 US is too much money (especially since I'll need two!). I'm handy with a wrench and don't mind building up a couple of bikes... Should I start out with a couple XS frames and go from there? Thoughts, recommendations?

Quick video here. - #ProudPapa
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    XS or XXS frames if you can find them. Primary issue will be the stand-over height (or lack thereof) of going to 26" - so look for frames with sloping or curved top tubes. You could also use 24" wheels on the 26" frames to give you some extra stand-over (but you'll probably have to use discs to get this working). Once the kids grow a bit more you can put the 26" wheels back on.

Every now and then there are some great looking lightweight carbon frames on fleabay in XS. They would form the basis of an excellent lightweight kids hardtail.

swag ho Administrator
    This is actually a great idea. The fork and tire selection for 26ers is massive. For 24ers, it is a joke.

Women's bikes should fit really well as they really try to give standover for folks under 5 feet in height these days. Put a 50 mm stem and no offset post, low-rise and you should be in business for the 11-year old. The 8-year old... too early. I think the kid should be well over four feet in height.

Should be easy for a hardtail, tricker for a full suspension.

And lastly, it's like a 29er for kids!

fc